I upgraded to macOS Sonoma and SPSS will not open.

I had SPSS 26 installed and now it doesn't work

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 1, 2023 4:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2023 6:58 AM

If other users are having this issue, download the SPSS 29 patch from the IBM website:

https://www.ibm.com/mysupport/s/defect/aCI3p0000004Khs/dt243265?language=en_US

Once here, look on the right side and select the most current update. As of 16 Oct 2023, it is 29.0.1.1-IM-S29STATC-MAC-IF001.

Once the zip file is downloaded, copy the "libplatep.dylib" exec file and move it to SPSS.  

To move it to SPSS, find the program in Applications (could read "IBM SPSS Statistics"). Open the folder and right click on the SPSS program. Select "Show Package Contents", and then open the "Contents' folder. Next open the "lib" folder and paste the "libplatep.dylib" exec (new patch) file from above. The user will have to select "Replace" for it to overwrite the current patch.

The program should work.

55 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2023 6:58 AM in response to chiou6christos

If other users are having this issue, download the SPSS 29 patch from the IBM website:

https://www.ibm.com/mysupport/s/defect/aCI3p0000004Khs/dt243265?language=en_US

Once here, look on the right side and select the most current update. As of 16 Oct 2023, it is 29.0.1.1-IM-S29STATC-MAC-IF001.

Once the zip file is downloaded, copy the "libplatep.dylib" exec file and move it to SPSS.  

To move it to SPSS, find the program in Applications (could read "IBM SPSS Statistics"). Open the folder and right click on the SPSS program. Select "Show Package Contents", and then open the "Contents' folder. Next open the "lib" folder and paste the "libplatep.dylib" exec (new patch) file from above. The user will have to select "Replace" for it to overwrite the current patch.

The program should work.

Oct 13, 2023 5:54 PM in response to chiou6christos

This issue is crippling to both my job and my side business. I went onto the IBM website and found a patch. It said needed to download Java to make the patch work, which I did. Then, my Mac will not open the IBM patch file. I may have to go back to a Windows machine (barf, puke, gag, etc.), but I very much do not want to. Rule of thumb, just don’t upgrade Mac OS EVER…

Oct 13, 2023 10:46 AM in response to leadtheway257

I have the same problem - the readme.text file in the patch I downloaded today specifies a folder that does not exist for V29.  

Oh, I just saw the comment to Right Clock on the Statistics App to "see" the hidden folders.  And I found the lib folder.  I moved over the downloaded fix file ("libplatep.dylib").  IBM needs to put that step in their readme.text

That made it work.  Finally - it opens and is working.

Oct 8, 2023 7:51 AM in response to juliak7

To install the IBM SPSS Statistics 29.0.1.0 Fix Pack for Mac OS (Sonoma problem) using the provided patch file, you can follow these general steps. Please note that the exact installation process may vary slightly depending on the specific patch and your system configuration, so always consult the official documentation that comes with the patch or IBM support for the most accurate instructions. Here's a general guide:

Download the Patch:

• Make sure you have the patch file downloaded from your developer account. You mentioned the file name as 29.0.1.0-IM-S29STATC-MAC-IF001. Ensure that it's on your Mac's local storage.

Backup Your Data:

• Before applying any patch, it's a good practice to back up your SPSS data and any customizations to ensure that you can restore your environment if something goes wrong.

Close SPSS:

• Ensure that SPSS Statistics is completely closed before proceeding with the installation.

Run the Patch Installer:

• Locate the downloaded patch file (e.g., 29.0.1.0-IM-S29STATC-MAC-IF001) and double-click on it to run the installer. You may need administrative privileges to install the patch.

Follow the Installation Wizard:

• The patch installer will launch an installation wizard. Follow the on-screen instructions to install the patch. This typically involves accepting the license agreement, specifying the installation location, and confirming the installation process.

Complete the Installation:

• After the installation is complete, you should receive a confirmation message that the patch has been successfully installed.

Restart SPSS:

• Once the patch is installed, you can restart IBM SPSS Statistics to ensure that the changes take effect.

Verify the Installation:

• Open SPSS and go to the "Help" menu or a similar menu where you can check for the current version and patch level. Make sure it now reflects the new version with the installed patch (e.g., SPSS Statistics 29.0.1.0 with Fix Pack IF001).

Test Your Workflows:

• After installation, it's a good idea to thoroughly test your existing SPSS workflows and ensure that everything is functioning as expected.

Always refer to the specific installation instructions provided by IBM for the patch you're installing, as they may include additional details or considerations that are specific to that patch. SPSS Statistics 26.0 Fix Pack 1 If you encounter any issues during the installation process, consult IBM's support resources or contact their support team for assistance.

Oct 2, 2023 10:29 AM in response to chiou6christos

If you upgraded to macOS Sonoma, and your SPSS 26 software is no longer working, it's possible that the upgrade may have caused compatibility issues. Here are some steps you can take to try and resolve the issue:

1. Check for SPSS Updates: Start by checking if there are any updates or patches available for SPSS 26 that are compatible with macOS Sonoma. Software developers often release updates to ensure compatibility with new operating systems.
  2. Compatibility Mode: You can try running SPSS 26 in compatibility mode. To do this, locate the SPSS application in your Applications folder, right-click on it, and select "Get Info." In the Info window, check the box that says "Open in Rosetta." This will run SPSS using the Rosetta 2 translation layer, which can help with compatibility on M1 Macs.
  3. Contact IBM Support: If you can't find an update for SPSS 26 that works with macOS Sonoma, consider reaching out to IBM SPSS support. They may have information or solutions for running SPSS on the latest macOS.
  4. Upgrade to SPSS 28: Another option would be to upgrade to a more recent version of SPSS that is officially compatible with macOS Sonoma (or whichever macOS version you are using). Newer versions are more likely to have better compatibility with the latest operating systems.
  5. Consider Virtualization: If SPSS 26 continues to have issues, you can consider running it in a virtualized environment. Tools like Parallels Desktop or VMware Fusion allow you to run Windows on your Mac, and you can install SPSS for Windows within the virtual machine.
  6. Dual Boot with Windows: If you have a genuine Windows license, you could set up a dual-boot system on your Mac, allowing you to boot into Windows when you need to use SPSS.
  7. Seek Community Help: Sometimes, other users may have encountered and solved similar issues. Check online SPSS user communities or forums for advice and solutions specific to your problem.
  8. Backup and Reinstall: As a last resort, you could consider backing up your data and performing a clean install of macOS Sonoma. Sometimes, this can resolve compatibility issues, but it's a more drastic step and should only be done after exhausting other options.

Remember to back up your data before making significant changes to your system or attempting a clean install. It's also important to verify the official system requirements and compatibility of your software with the macOS version you are using.

Oct 7, 2023 10:03 AM in response to chiou6christos

IBM has released a patch for SPSS 29 - Mac OS Sonoma problem. You can download the patch with your developer account. SPSS 29.0.1.0 version worked fine with this patch.

https://www.ibm.com/support/fixcentral/swg/selectFixes?product=ibm%2FInformation+Management%2FSPSS+Statistics&fixids=29.0.1.0-IM-S29STATC-MAC-IF001&source=SAR&function=fixId&parent=SPSS

Oct 8, 2023 8:55 AM in response to aswinpnr

Dear "aswinpnr", I don't think you know anything about this patch. I didn't understand what your aim was either. You just copied and pasted the information I gave above.

Anyway, this patch is not an executable program. When you download this file, you need to copy the given file to the folder defined in the IBM SPSS installation directory and replace the original file with the new file. Then SPSS will run. The instructions is given in the downloaded file.

In order to access the directory given in the instructions, you need to right-click on the "SPSS Statistics" file in the applications and select "Show package contents".

Oct 13, 2023 10:34 AM in response to gerlinde81

I have the same problem - the readme.text file in the patch I downloaded today specifies a folder that does not exist for V29.

Oh, I just saw the comment to Right Clock on the Statistics App to see the hidden folders. And I found the lib folder. I moved over the downloaded fix file ("libplatep.dylib"). But now after that final step as instructed - It still won't open - just has the same popup window asking for a local server.

Oct 4, 2023 6:54 PM in response to Amber_Elvis

Look into boot camping your Mac if it allows you to, I'm not sure which models are the cutoff for this feature. I did this with windows and then downloaded SPSS on that (you can download the Microsoft ISO for the bootcamp from their website which is free and I think it has instructions). My SPSS came with two computer locations, if yours just came with one you will have to buy another one but it's the only solution I found.

Oct 10, 2023 11:30 AM in response to Nnghks

Ok everything seemed to be fine BUT ... I don't have a folder structure on my Mac like it is described in the "read me" data.

When I follow my folder structure there is following:

Programs - IBM SPSS Statistics - Python 3 for SPSS Statistics AND - R for SPSS Statistics AND - Recourses (this is the only folder) AND - SPSS Statistics

To say it in other words: I have 3 Programs and 1 Folder, but not named "Contents"

what is to do?

In which folder should I copy the libplatdep.dylib??

When I go into "Resources" and deeper in other folders, there are a lot of lib folders but I don't know in which I should but the data!

Can anyone help me?

I upgraded to macOS Sonoma and SPSS will not open.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.