MacOS Sonoma - Photo cropping/resizing bug in Photo App

I was having this issue with Ventura and I just updated to Sonoma hoping that might help. Unfortunately, I am still hitting the same issue while trying to crop/resize photos in the Photo App. I have 50k+ photos/videos in my album. Resizing is such a common thing to do and now not being able to do it for months is really very frustrating.

What is strange is that this issues happens only on my M2 MBP laptop and does not happen on my old Intel MBP laptop, which is also running Sonoma now. I used an identical copy of the photo album on an external disk to test this aspect.

Basically, the issue is that when I try to crop a photo, the Photo App enters the edit/crop mode as usual, but I am not able to crop/resize the photo. It shows the white outline and grid lines as usual but it doesn't let me crop/resize/straighten the photo. Flip works. What's new with Sonoma is if I keep trying then at some point a second set of white grid lines appear and then I am able to resize one of these two sets of grid lines but when I exit out of the Crop mode and come back photo is as it was originally.

It takes about ~3-6 photo crops/resizes to hit this issue. Then, I have to quit out of the Photo App. Crop starts working fine and then happens again. More restarts I do of the Photo App, seems as if it starts to happen with fewer crops ~2-4. About that point, I just stop cropping.

Just curious if anyone else is having this issue ?

Does anyone know how to get Apple developers attention to this bug ? ... I ask because this looks like a bug in the Photo App when it's running on M2 MBP.

MacBook Pro 16″

Posted on Oct 1, 2023 9:20 AM

Similar questions

15 replies

Oct 1, 2023 12:55 PM in response to léonie

Hi Leonie,

Thanks for your response.

For me it happens on all types of photos. So, those take with various iPhones we have, Camera (Fuji) and today an Epson scanner (which is what I was doing today and then had to crop each photo). Yes, I usually try to crop right after I import. But I can make the problem happen on photos which I had imported long time back as well.

My Photo Album is all locally stored on an ext. disk.

Just a quick update. I ended up calling Apple today as scanning photos requires crop/resize/straighten pretty much for every photo.

Following is what they had me try to see if it would make the problem go away:

. Create new user account.

. Re-install Sonoma OS.

. Surgically deleted bunch of Photo app related folders in the system partition.

None of these helped and the issue still happened. Finally, they took a Data capture of my system and opened a bug/issue internally with the Photo Apps team. I was told I should expect to hear back in few days. I'll update this thread once I hear back from them.

Oct 1, 2023 12:25 PM in response to seldane23

I am only seeing this problem, when I straighten the photo. Then the cropping rectangle might hit the border of the image and will no longer allow us to resize the cropping rectangle. Or when the aspect ratio is not set to Freeform.

To compare notes on problems when cropping to would help to have more background information.

What kind of photos are yfunrying to crop? Have the photos been taken with an iPhone and has the iPhone camera been set to a specific aspect ratio? You could try to revert the photo to the original before trying to crop it.

Are you using iCloud Photos and optimize Storage? Are you trying to adjust the size right after importing the photos, staring fro the Recents album? Directly after importing Photos is sometimes very unresponsive. I am usually waiting until Photos had time to index the photos before I try to add adjustments or crop them.

Nov 11, 2023 4:21 AM in response to Yer_Man

Yes and it changes the whole photo not just one side as I could do before. I need to be able to email just the main part of my target so having taken the photo with my iPhone I have an oblong photo which I need to crop one side not the whole thing but the new os doesn't work that way anymore. the closest I can get is by using "square and as long as I have close cropped the sides when taking the photo this works just about. All I want to do is to be able to adjust all four sides independently not much to ask as we had this facility before. Sometimes things are not a step forward they are a step back and it is not progress!

Nov 11, 2023 9:07 AM in response to Yer_Man

This may or may not help-- My M1 Air was doing crazy things in Photos and other Graphics programs. Seemed like memory leakage to me, so I did the hardware diagnostics, re-installed the OS (had not done that in 35 years of Macs) and nothing I tried worked.

I took it to Genius Bar. They could find nothing wrong. They suggested that on a 1TB drive, my 120 GB free was not enough! I thought they were crazy, but I moved 350GB to an external drive, and the problems have not re-occurred. Could be luck, of course, so I'm still waiting for the bombshell. Apparently heavy graphics requires lots of memory swapping. That could be the difference between your computers.

They also said that my 83% battery health might be a problem-- heavy use perhaps draws more current, and the M chips don't like it. Now I'm trying to run down my battery below 80% so they will replace if for free.

Anyway-- it's something to try.

Dec 4, 2023 8:23 AM in response to Cerastez

Hi Cerastez/All,

Just a quick update. As I mentioned earlier, I had opened a bug/issue with Apple Photo App team. I have been pinging time to time, while they have confirmed that it's a bug with the Photo App, they have not given me any sort of ETA when it will be fixed. I"ll ping them again and tell them that this thread keeps growing.

Mar 30, 2024 4:49 PM in response to seldane23

Just upgraded to Sonoma today on my iMac. Was concerned about doing it...but, well, took the plunge. I can no longer re-size or crop my personal photos for my business promo releases as of this hour. I have a major musical release in a matter of days and future ones following, dependent on this app working. Sorry to personalize this, but hey. Been using Mac for decades. NEVER encountered this before. Things should NOT be made more difficult for your clients. Should be made easier. Not cool! Please rectify this ASAP! Best!

MacOS Sonoma - Photo cropping/resizing bug in Photo App

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.