Upgrade my MacBook

I want to update my device but it tells me that there is no space and I cannot see what the storage contains to manage this problem. What should I do?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 1, 2023 10:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2023 10:49 AM

I have several thoughts for you to consider.

• You can open the Disk Utility app and it will provide you with an accurate picture of how much of your Mac's HD is being used.
  • If there is insufficient unused space in the HD to download and install an upgrade your only option is to install an external disk (properly formatted) and copy files onto it which can then be erased from your HD to clear needed space.
  • Be aware that if a HD becomes too full, it will cause your Mac to cease functioning.
  • Finally, you have not stated what year and model Mac you have or what its current operating system is so we cannot tell you whether it may be upgraded to a newer OS. At some point each Mac can no longer be upgraded due to its age.
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2023 10:49 AM in response to FarahFares

I have several thoughts for you to consider.

• You can open the Disk Utility app and it will provide you with an accurate picture of how much of your Mac's HD is being used.
  • If there is insufficient unused space in the HD to download and install an upgrade your only option is to install an external disk (properly formatted) and copy files onto it which can then be erased from your HD to clear needed space.
  • Be aware that if a HD becomes too full, it will cause your Mac to cease functioning.
  • Finally, you have not stated what year and model Mac you have or what its current operating system is so we cannot tell you whether it may be upgraded to a newer OS. At some point each Mac can no longer be upgraded due to its age.

Upgrade my MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.