MacOS Sonoma menubar size on MBP 14"

Hi!

After upgrade to MacOs Sonoma my menu bar became larger like about 1.5x. Tried to change font size (add more space button), tried different resolutions and found out that for some resolutions the menubar size is ok, but the screen size changes from fullscreen to some additional black lines on the upper and lower screen sizes, so menubar moves under the webcam island.

According to the reddit threads, looks like not only me got this issue, but here is not solution for it there.

Maybe someone here can help me with that?

MacBook Pro (M2 Pro, 2023)

Posted on Oct 1, 2023 10:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2023 10:59 AM

I tried all the things mentioned in that thread before, unfortunately it doesn't helped. All the things mentioned there for me only change font size in menu bar, but not the size of the bar itself. Not sure if it is normally seen here, but ill try to add screenshots:

Default value:

More Space value:

Desired state:

51 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2023 10:59 AM in response to leroydouglas

I tried all the things mentioned in that thread before, unfortunately it doesn't helped. All the things mentioned there for me only change font size in menu bar, but not the size of the bar itself. Not sure if it is normally seen here, but ill try to add screenshots:

Default value:

More Space value:

Desired state:

Oct 26, 2023 1:38 AM in response to Stanislav_Kot

The top menu height now is bigger than previously and I have a black area below my camera space. The green square shows the approximate camera's area. So there is the black line under the camera now, and previously the top menu had the same height with the green square (notch).

I tryed to play with settings, changed the menu bar size to Default, etc, but nothing helps

Oct 1, 2023 10:50 AM in response to Stanislav_Kot

Stanislav_Kot wrote:

Hi!
After upgrade to MacOs Sonoma my menu bar became larger like about 1.5x. Tried to change font size (add more space button), tried different resolutions and found out that for some resolutions the menubar size is ok, but the screen size changes from fullscreen to some additional black lines on the upper and lower screen sizes, so menubar moves under the webcam island.
According to the reddit threads, looks like not only me got this issue, but here is not solution for it there.
Maybe someone here can help me with that?

See if this does it —

if not see this thread—

how to make menu bar smaller on macOS Mon… - Apple Community

ref: Change Accessibility settings on Mac - Apple Support

Apr 6, 2024 8:35 AM in response to tema_604

Personally, I tried all the suggestions and absolutely nothing worked on my MBP 14 M3 Pro (currently 14.3.1); my menu bar is about 1/3 taller than my previous MBP that didn't have a notch. The ONLY thing that helped in my case was hiding the menu bar; this finally allowed me to use the space under the notch. When I mouse-up and the menu bar slides into view, it covers the top 7 or 8 pixels of my open windows, but at least I can now move program and finder windows directly below the notch without the dumb menu bar padding that apple programmed into the OS below the notch.

I too wish there was a solution such as a third-party tool, or simple setting adjustment, but I've gone through ALL of them and can't get any to work on a 14" with the notch.

Nov 4, 2023 12:40 PM in response to Stanislav_Kot

For me, I originally had the same observation. But this turned out to be related to the fact that the menu bar was now white instead of black like I was used to in dark mode. I had to go into wallpapers and select black as color for the new "Sonoma Horizon" wallpaper being thrust upon us.

Props to this thread for pointing that out. MacOS Sonoma Menu bar color - Apple Community

Dec 5, 2023 5:02 AM in response to Stanislav_Kot

The first thing that stands out is "cleanmymac". Maybe it is not related to the present problem, but most of us who have been around for some time consider this to be akin to malware.

Besides that, there are also remnants of avast.

None of these contribute to make your mac safer. And to make matters worse, you have security updates disabled, so these, which can really help protect your mac, are not done in a timely fashion...

See: Effective defenses against malware and other threats

I don't see how any of that would interfere with the size of the menu bar, but I had to point these out.

MacOS Sonoma menubar size on MBP 14"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.