iPadOS 17 PDF Text Markup Broken, Not Syncing Properly Across Devices

Since updating to iPadOS 17.0.2, annotating a PDF with typed text is no longer working properly.

I can write with Apple Pencil and these annotations will save correctly in the PDF. These annotations also show up properly when the PDF if viewed from my MacBook Pro. The files are stored in iCloud Drive and updates to the file appear to be working correctly.

When writing text on iPad, the text seems to be okay when reopening the edited PDF file:

although when the same file has been synced over iCloud Drive and viewed on MacOS, it looks like this:

as you can see, the typed text is cropped. I now need to open this file on my MacBook, resize the text and then make use of the file that has been "fixed" on my MacBook, because if I, for example, send the file as edited on my iPad, it will appear as the latter image.

I now need to fix the PDF annotations on my MacBook, which seems like an unnecessary step to me, given the fact that PDFs annotated prior to upgrading to iPadOS 17 didn't suffer this problem.

Has anyone else experienced this issue and can anyone recommend anything that can solve this issue?

Thanks for your time!

iPad Air, iPadOS 17

Posted on Oct 1, 2023 7:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2023 3:43 AM

Apple invites submission of comments and bug reports via its Product Feedback portal. If you have identified a consistent functional issue or other bug, you would be best advised to use this channel to communicate details of the problem to Apple:

Product Feedback - Apple

When submitting your report, ensure that you include full details of your device model(s) and installed version of iPadOS/macOS within the body of your report. Don't rely upon the pick-list - as this rarely includes the most recent versions.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2023 3:43 AM in response to sooprtruffaut

Apple invites submission of comments and bug reports via its Product Feedback portal. If you have identified a consistent functional issue or other bug, you would be best advised to use this channel to communicate details of the problem to Apple:

Product Feedback - Apple

When submitting your report, ensure that you include full details of your device model(s) and installed version of iPadOS/macOS within the body of your report. Don't rely upon the pick-list - as this rarely includes the most recent versions.

Oct 30, 2023 12:36 AM in response to sooprtruffaut

Similar problem, a bit different.

On performing some markup (handwritten text), I decide to move it around a bit.

Selection tool shows normal dotted line around the text, but then appears a few centimetres away, and deselects when trying to move it. Or, inverts and compresses the selected text.

By accident, I found if I move the pdf slightly with a finger (“draw with finger” is off, and all markup is with pencil), the ‘selection’ dotted line springs back to surrounding the handwritten text.

Just updated to iPadOS 17.1 a day ago, this bug was not happening in iPadOS 16.x as fully updated prior to doing 17.1 update.

iPadOS 17 PDF Text Markup Broken, Not Syncing Properly Across Devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.