Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Why is Safari so slow after upgrading to macOS Sonoma?

I have an M2 MacBook Air with 16GB memory. I do not use a VPN, and I do not have any extensions in Safari. I have not changed anything before installing macOS Sonoma. Yet, Safari has become unusably slow. Web pages take minutes to load, and sometimes don't even load. Searches don't execute for tens of seconds. I have switched off "Hide my IP Address", but even this did not help. Does anyone have any idea what else I can do other than switching to Chrome?

MacBook Air, macOS 14.0

Posted on Oct 2, 2023 5:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2023 12:49 PM

Turn off automatic proxy in WiFi settings.

Settings - WiFi - Click on more/details on the the WiFi you are connected with - Proxy’s - Turn off automatic proxy detection

It should fix the problem because it did with mine. When I turn in on again the problem happens again.

You’re welcome :)

Similar questions

47 replies

Jan 11, 2024 11:27 AM in response to blindkarma

blindkarma

Posted on Dec 8, 2023 12:31 PM
Try this:
1. Force quit Safari. (Option + Command + Esc)
2. Restart Safari while holding the Shift key down.

This seemed to good to be true, so dismissed it as hocus pocus. Just tried it out of desperation because the other fixes re wifi didn't apply and....it worked!!!

So far, every site I visited loaded instantly, including Yahoo.finance, which I read was slow loading.

Thank you Blindkarma.

Oct 30, 2023 10:43 PM in response to unisfromcapetown

In addition to the slowness of pages, I have also noted regular errors when opening 10 or so tabs at a time:

This error makes no sense, as I have 16GB of memory and around 200GB of unused disk space...

I have also noticed that upgrading to Sonoma 14.1 did not resolve anything.

How do I make Apple aware of this issue that seems to affect a wider group of users?

Apr 25, 2024 2:03 AM in response to unisfromcapetown

The situation has worsened after updating to 14.4.1. Safari is excruciatingly slow. This is on a fresh macOS installation with no extensions, and certainly no spyware. It's just sluggish, much like every other Apple app (Apple TV, Apple Music, App Store). Like, I have to at least reconnect 3 times before the I got a connection with the App store, the same with the Apple Tv-app and the Music App. I mean, come on?

I ran a speed test on Safari and only managed a maximum download speed of 174.20 Mbps (see image 1). In contrast, using Opera GX, I hit 567.19 Mbps. So, what more is there to say? Safari has long lost its claim as the "fastest browser." Apple really needs to focus on quality updates. I'm done reading tips like "reset internet, log out and log back in, reset this, reset that. No, fix this! The latest update seems to have significant issues, and I'm clearly not the only one affected. There was a time when I trusted Apple's quality more than I do now—it feels like profits are now prioritised over quality.

Nov 15, 2023 2:57 PM in response to unisfromcapetown

When I first upgraded to Safari 17, I had absolutely no issues. In fact, I was rather surprised at how snappy it felt. (I can't recall for sure whether I upgraded Safari before upgrading macOS to Sonoma, unfortunately). Sometime after I customized some of the new Safari settings (mainly around profiles), it became horrendously slow on startup, taking up 4–6 CPU cores for a good few minutes before calming down. It now does this every time I start up the app. I've tried clearing the caches for all profiles to no avail. I had really wanted to switch to using it as my main browser; imported my bookmarks from other browsers and everything. It's really a shame that it barfed. Weirdly, this has been my experience with Safari for several versions: on initial install of a new major release, it's snappy as dadgummed tarnation (apparently Apple filters out "h-e-double-hockey-sticks" 🔥; seriously?), and then it degrades to feeling slow and bloated. This time (Safari 17) has been the worst by far, though. Really disappointing.

Jan 11, 2024 10:00 AM in response to unisfromcapetown

I have a new M2 MacMini with latest SonomaOS. Safari goes down to zero speed often, a force quit is needed to restart it. Safe mode restarts help temporarily and then it goes back to atrocious. My old Mini (2010 and 2014) did not have such problems. The slowness appears to be exacerbated by web-sites such as Yahoo.finance. the proposed wi-fi fixes are not involved in my case. Wish more proactive action on Apple's part were forthcoming earliest.

Mar 9, 2024 3:33 AM in response to unisfromcapetown

New Monterey and Safari 17.4 update is out. I am curious if this will fix my issue with Safari which I've had since last November.

What I have experienced is after 10-20 minutes of using Safari it started to lag, scrolling was super slow, typing was also delayed 2-3 seconds and typing was not in real time, doing actions like clicking on a youtube video or opening a new website was super slow.

I installed ARC browser and used it parallel with Safari but I am still hoping that they will fix this issue.. Tried to delete all browser data, force quit and launching it by pressing the left shift button, but no success. With this new version I hope it will be good as it used to be.

Why is Safari so slow after upgrading to macOS Sonoma?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.