Safari pages in wrong language after Sonoma upgrade.

This is a strange problem.

For certain websites, Safari displays pages in an incorrect language. If I copy and paste text to another app, it pastes in English.

What's truly odd about this is the inconsistency. It doesn't happen on all sites. Wikipedia, X's embedded in other pages displaying in English, and certain ads display incorrectly. This same behavior does not appear in other apps, including Firefox.

My language settings are correct, as are my Safari settings.

Screenshots:

Safari -

Firefox -

Please note: "Read Wikipedia in your language" button in Safari thinks it's already displaying English, so adjusting the settings here is not effective.

Posted on Oct 2, 2023 8:06 AM

11 replies

Oct 5, 2023 11:01 AM in response to Jeff Sevier

Hi Jeff Sevier,

Do you currently use a VPN on your mac? If so, does the issue continue if the VPN is turned off?

Use the VPN status icon in the menu bar on Mac - Apple Support

"Connect to or disconnect from a VPN

1. On your Mac, click the VPN status icon in the menu bar.
  2. Choose a VPN to connect to or disconnect from."

If not, what type of network is this occurring on? For example, a work, home, public or business Wi-Fi connection? Also, if started in safe mode does the issue continue? The article here has steps to help you test: Use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Keep us posted on the results or if you have any questions about the steps.

Cheers.

Oct 4, 2023 7:31 AM in response to Jeff Sevier

Hey there Jeff Sevier,

First, make sure your Mac is set up using the correct language you wish to use: Change the language your Mac uses - Apple Support

If using the correct language on your Mac but seeing a different language in Safari, clear the history and browsing data for Safari in case these settings are still showing based on the browsing data: Clear your browsing history in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

After clearing Safari, close the app and then press and hold the Shift key while reopening Safari. This will help by preventing previously saved data/tabs from opening so you can test with a fresh, restarted app.

Take care!

Oct 5, 2023 10:41 AM in response to hc1111

Thank you for the response.

Unfortunately it did not work. Some of my Safari pages are showing up in Russian, a language I would never need to use. Is there anything else we can try?

I simply ran the Sonoma upgrade process like I've been doing since Upgrades became available as a system update... this is the first time I've ever had a problem like this.

Safari pages in wrong language after Sonoma upgrade.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.