magic keyboard emoji’s not working

I installed IOS 17 on my iPad 4th generation. Once I did, the control + space bar stopped bringing up the emoji keyboard when I’m using social media. Is this a bug, or do I need to use a different set of keys to make it work?

iPad Air, iPadOS 17

Posted on Oct 2, 2023 9:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2023 8:43 AM

Hello ASTRO24,

I followed your directions and it didn’t solve my problem. Command + Control + Spacebar works on some apps like LinkedIn, but it does not work when I’m using IG, Threads, TikTok and more. This only started happening when I updated to IOS 17.

If you have any new solutions, I’m all ears. Thank you in advance for your help.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2023 8:43 AM in response to ASTRO24

Hello ASTRO24,

I followed your directions and it didn’t solve my problem. Command + Control + Spacebar works on some apps like LinkedIn, but it does not work when I’m using IG, Threads, TikTok and more. This only started happening when I updated to IOS 17.

If you have any new solutions, I’m all ears. Thank you in advance for your help.

Jan 8, 2024 5:11 PM in response to Roman_Jude

I had the same issue upon updating software and found a solution for it: there’s a section within keyboard settings called Hardware Keyboard where I could reassign the control, command etc keys to do different things. I don’t use the option key typically, so I could change the option key to bring up the globe menu, which is my emoji keyboard. Hacky but keeps my emojis one button press away.

Oct 4, 2023 8:26 AM in response to Roman_Jude

Hi Roman_Jude,

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities.

In order to access emojis, you will want to press Command + Control + Spacebar at the same time. If this doesn't work, remove the Magic Keyboard and reconnect it.

Magic Keyboard disconnects when you turn its switch to Off or when you move it or iPhone out of Bluetooth range—about 33 feet (10 meters).
To reconnect, turn the keyboard switch to On, or bring the keyboard and iPhone back into range, then tap any key.

Pair Magic Keyboard with iPhone - Apple Support

Regards.

Oct 18, 2023 9:16 AM in response to Roman_Jude

Thanks for replying, Roman_Jude, and that additional info, it really helps! You mention specifically you are trying to switch to the emoji keyboard characters, looking at this Apple resource Use shortcuts on an Apple external keyboard with iPad - Apple Support there is a different way to get to this keyboard:

"Use the Shortcuts bar to switch between language, emoji, and onscreen keyboards
You can use the Shortcuts bar to switch between the language keyboard for your region, an emoji keyboard, other language keyboards that you add, and the onscreen keyboard.
1. Do one of the following:
* Tap the Keyboard Shortcut button in the Shortcuts bar.
* If you installed additional language keyboards, tap the language button next to the predictive text suggestions (opposite of the Dictation button  in the Shortcuts bar).
4. Choose an option."

You can also see a list of shortcuts that you can use with an app by pressing and holding the Command ⌘ key when you use the app. Please see this Apple resource for more details:

Learn iPad keyboard shortcuts - Apple Support

Have a great day and thanks for using the Apple Support Communities!

magic keyboard emoji’s not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.