Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does the emoji keyboard or pop up in iOS 14 on the iPad disappear after typing one emoji?

How can I make it stay? Searched everywhere for an option but can’t find one.

Sure, its neater than losing half the screen to the emoji keyboard like used to happen in iOS 13 but we all need to type more than one emoji at a time, so any clues on how to make it stay would be gratefully received!

iPad Air, iPadOS 14

Posted on Sep 24, 2020 3:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2020 9:54 AM

Ok so good news, I figured out a workaround.

This assumes you are using a hardware keyboard like the Smart Cover or whatever its called.

In the lower right corner press the keyboard icon:

Then you get this pop up:

Then in that grey pop up balloon, press the first keyboard icon (directly to the right of the microphone icon)

Then you will get the soft keyboard appear, taking up half the display :-)

Press the smiley face key - lower left corner, and bingo you get your emojis back where you want them, and you can type as many as you like!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2020 9:54 AM in response to Bofs

Ok so good news, I figured out a workaround.

This assumes you are using a hardware keyboard like the Smart Cover or whatever its called.

In the lower right corner press the keyboard icon:

Then you get this pop up:

Then in that grey pop up balloon, press the first keyboard icon (directly to the right of the microphone icon)

Then you will get the soft keyboard appear, taking up half the display :-)

Press the smiley face key - lower left corner, and bingo you get your emojis back where you want them, and you can type as many as you like!

Why does the emoji keyboard or pop up in iOS 14 on the iPad disappear after typing one emoji?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.