I'm trying to select a photo from a video in photos on my mac. I have Ventura OS

The Export Frame to Pictures is grayed out.

I'm following these instructions:

Export a video frame as a photo in Photos on Mac

You can review a video clip to identify an outstanding frame, then export it as a photo.

1. In the Photos app  on your Mac, open a video clip, and drag the playhead to the frame you want to export.
  2. Choose File > Export > Export Frame to Pictures.
  3. A TIFF file named “Frame [date]” appears in the Pictures folder.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 2, 2023 10:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2023 10:00 AM

Hi Margaret Zuanich,

If Export to Frame Pictures is grayed out when following Export a still photo from a video in Photos on Mac, check your video.

• It won't export if you are in edit. If you see a yellow Done button on the top right you are in edit and need to click this button first.
  • Make sure you have the video selected and Photos is reading it properly. Locate the video in Albums > Media Type > Videos to and try from there.
  • If you are using iCloud, make sure all activity has been resolved (uploading and downloading) by following Check the status of your library in Photos for macOS.

Hope this helps.

Take care.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2023 10:00 AM in response to Margaret Zuanich

Hi Margaret Zuanich,

If Export to Frame Pictures is grayed out when following Export a still photo from a video in Photos on Mac, check your video.

• It won't export if you are in edit. If you see a yellow Done button on the top right you are in edit and need to click this button first.
  • Make sure you have the video selected and Photos is reading it properly. Locate the video in Albums > Media Type > Videos to and try from there.
  • If you are using iCloud, make sure all activity has been resolved (uploading and downloading) by following Check the status of your library in Photos for macOS.

Hope this helps.

Take care.

Oct 4, 2023 11:29 AM in response to Margaret Zuanich

Try the following:

As a test launch Photos with the Option key held down and create a new, test library.  Import a video and test to see if the same problem persists. Does it? This tells us if the problem is limited to your current library or is more wide spread. If the problem is not present close that test library, reopen your current library and try again.

I'm trying to select a photo from a video in photos on my mac. I have Ventura OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.