Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

GarageBand requires iOS 17, my phone doesn’t support it

I have an iPhone X, and the latest available iOS for it is 16.7, which is installed. App Store says GarageBand is compatible with my phone, yet I can’t download it. What should I do?

Posted on Oct 2, 2023 11:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2023 1:16 PM

The following solution worked for me. I have an iPhone 8 which runs iOS version 16 and will not update to iOS 17. To accomplish this, you will need the assistance of any device that can run iOS 17. Sign in with your Apple ID to any newer device which supports iOS 17. This can be a spare device you own, or perhaps you can borrower a family or friend's device to do this. After you are signed in with your Apple ID into the newer device which supports iOS 17, go to the app store and download Garage Band on the newer device. This is the first step - now your Apple ID has a history of downloading Garage Band. If you borrowed this newer device, now you can sign out of your Apple ID on the newer device and return it to your family or friend who was kind enough to let you borrower it for a couple minutes. The next step is to pick up your older device again, the device which is running iOS 16 or earlier. You might have to wait up to an hour for your app store download history to sync up. I had to wait awhile, but eventually when I searched for Garage Band in the app store on the older device, instead of seeing the blue "Get" button, this button was replaced with the blue cloud download icon. I was then able to download an older version of Garage Band on the older device.

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2023 1:16 PM in response to Daryl_1

The following solution worked for me. I have an iPhone 8 which runs iOS version 16 and will not update to iOS 17. To accomplish this, you will need the assistance of any device that can run iOS 17. Sign in with your Apple ID to any newer device which supports iOS 17. This can be a spare device you own, or perhaps you can borrower a family or friend's device to do this. After you are signed in with your Apple ID into the newer device which supports iOS 17, go to the app store and download Garage Band on the newer device. This is the first step - now your Apple ID has a history of downloading Garage Band. If you borrowed this newer device, now you can sign out of your Apple ID on the newer device and return it to your family or friend who was kind enough to let you borrower it for a couple minutes. The next step is to pick up your older device again, the device which is running iOS 16 or earlier. You might have to wait up to an hour for your app store download history to sync up. I had to wait awhile, but eventually when I searched for Garage Band in the app store on the older device, instead of seeing the blue "Get" button, this button was replaced with the blue cloud download icon. I was then able to download an older version of Garage Band on the older device.

Jan 25, 2024 3:33 PM in response to CheroCzech

OMG - u never guess what - I have just managed to sort it. If I tried tapping the cloud Icon on the GarageBand app it wouldnt allow me to download it saying I need ios17. I decided to try doing it from the App store directly, but bugger me, it said I needed IOS17 but then promptly started downloading the app. Have opened it and its all there. I am gong to have one excited 14yr old in the morning.

CheroCzech - thanks so much for your above post. LIFESAVER!!

Oct 2, 2023 10:48 PM in response to Daryl_1

Check you are trying to download the iOS version (ie: not the Mac, or iPad versions)

(App store will generally download the newest compatible app version for your iOS.)

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/garageband/id408709785

Check iphone is well charged, connected to wi-fi, and that you will have enough memory / storage space free for the app, and also for your iPhone to operate smoothly :

What to do: If you need more space for an update on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Trouble-shooting: If you can’t download or update apps on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Jan 29, 2024 2:13 PM in response to Ppijuuuh

hi there follow cheroczech above and then see my response on the 25th.

After that however dont open the cloud icon on the garageband app icon on the device you want top open it on. Go directly to the app store and try download it from there. this is how it worked for me. have no idea why it didnt work from the app icon but just happy it worked

hope that helps

Jan 25, 2024 3:01 PM in response to Daryl_1

Hi CheroCzech

I have just tried exactly what you suggested for my daughter who has an iPhone X, using my personal iPhone XR. As soon as I started the download on the XR using her Apple ID it also started downloading on her iPhone X simultaneously, as she was still signed into her iPhoneX.

HOWEVER - it did download the Garageband icon onto her iPhone X, but with the download cloud symbol below it. when you go to open the app it still wants to update to IOS 17.

SO - although she has the icon on her phone she cant download the app in its entirety. so frustrating

Jan 25, 2024 3:07 PM in response to Bok8efok

From one dad to another, I feel your frustration. What a coincidence I got my $92 check in the mail today for Apple’s recent settlement on the class action suit. Sorry this issue plagues you. I wish Apple were more friendly, but it seems the options are upgrade to a newer Apple device and keep spinning on that wheel or go with a different ecosystem with its own set of problems. Good luck to you.

Jan 25, 2024 3:07 PM in response to Bok8efok

From one dad to another, I feel your frustration. What a coincidence I got my $92 check in the mail today for Apple’s recent settlement on the class action suit. Sorry this issue plagues you. I wish Apple were more friendly, but it seems the options are upgrade to a newer Apple device and keep spinning on that wheel or go with a different ecosystem with its own set of problems. Good luck to you.

GarageBand requires iOS 17, my phone doesn’t support it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.