Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

email won't update. its asking for the password for Imap for an email i do not have anymore

in the setting of my iPad, i have the correct email address. but when i open email its asking me to sign in to an email account i never use anymore

Posted on Oct 2, 2023 12:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2023 12:41 PM

Consider that an AppleID account is intended to be used for life. If you need to change the primary email address that identifies your AppleID account, or your secondary (recovery) email addresses or trusted telephone numbers, you simply need to update your AppleID account as necessary.

Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

Change your Apple ID password - Apple Support

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support

Change, add, or remove Apple ID payment methods - Apple Support

Few of us will have the luxury of forever keeping the same email addresses or telephone numbers - sometimes these needing to be changed for a variety of reasons. However, updating our AppleID account, maintaining access to our data and purchases, is easy and relatively straightforward - accommodating life’s many changes as they occur. Using a completely different AppleID account can introduce many complications and issues, not limited to losing access to paid Apps, subscriptions and services - these being forever tied to the AppleID account from which they were purchased.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2023 12:41 PM in response to 44Sarah87

Consider that an AppleID account is intended to be used for life. If you need to change the primary email address that identifies your AppleID account, or your secondary (recovery) email addresses or trusted telephone numbers, you simply need to update your AppleID account as necessary.

Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

Change your Apple ID password - Apple Support

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support

Change, add, or remove Apple ID payment methods - Apple Support

Few of us will have the luxury of forever keeping the same email addresses or telephone numbers - sometimes these needing to be changed for a variety of reasons. However, updating our AppleID account, maintaining access to our data and purchases, is easy and relatively straightforward - accommodating life’s many changes as they occur. Using a completely different AppleID account can introduce many complications and issues, not limited to losing access to paid Apps, subscriptions and services - these being forever tied to the AppleID account from which they were purchased.

email won't update. its asking for the password for Imap for an email i do not have anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.