do I have malware or a virus? It says iCloud hacked

I was exploring different sites about how to edit my videos for YouTube and I may have been infected by malware or a virus. As soon as I opened Safari, a message popped up in the upper right corner saying my iCloud has been hacked. It went away too soon before I could get a screenshot

It did bring me to this site that I was able to capture (see pic below). I had read another post and downloaded the Malware free trial software and it performed a scan - it said I have none but is that even a credible app/site? Is there a way to check if I have Malware without using the malware app? Thank you.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Oct 2, 2023 2:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2023 5:53 PM

As soon as I opened Safari, a message popped up in the upper right corner saying my iCloud has been hacked.

Read Stop unwanted Notifications - Apple Community.

I was exploring different sites about how to edit my videos for YouTube and I may have been infected by malware or a virus.

You have not been infected with malware or a virus.

It did bring me to this site that I was able to capture (see pic below). I had read another post and downloaded the Malware free trial software and it performed a scan - it said I have none but is that even a credible app/site? Is there a way to check if I have Malware without using the malware app? Thank you.

You do not need "Malwarebytes" or anything else.

These are common scams that attempt to convince you to download and install <something> toward their ultimate goal of extorting money from you. The only way to win that game is not to play. Just say NO.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2023 5:53 PM in response to Christine Altieri

As soon as I opened Safari, a message popped up in the upper right corner saying my iCloud has been hacked.

Read Stop unwanted Notifications - Apple Community.

I was exploring different sites about how to edit my videos for YouTube and I may have been infected by malware or a virus.

You have not been infected with malware or a virus.

You do not need "Malwarebytes" or anything else.

These are common scams that attempt to convince you to download and install <something> toward their ultimate goal of extorting money from you. The only way to win that game is not to play. Just say NO.

Oct 2, 2023 2:57 PM in response to stedman1

I did close the site without tapping on anything. I use a computer at work and have attended self-training administered by my employer's IT Dept and know not to download anything (although I may have inadvertently yesterday - not at work, but on my personal MacBook Air).

Plus, I had a Gateway desktop 20 years ago and it had McAfee or Norton. I know McAfee and Norton are not for Apple products.

is "Malware" a reputable malware removal app?

Is there a way to check if I have Malware without using the Malware app I have installed pictured above?

Thank you.

do I have malware or a virus? It says iCloud hacked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.