Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

How do I restore the Desktop on my Mac after uploading to icloud?

I recently ticked the box "Desktop and Documents" on my icloud drive settings and my normal desktop on my laptop disappeared.

What's left is a folder that says Desktop MacbookAir (2).

When I untick the "Desktop and Documents" on my icloud drive settings I get a message I don't understand.

Please help! I just want my old Desktop back.

Posted on Oct 2, 2023 6:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2023 8:38 PM

If you no longer wish to sync, turn off Desktop and Documents under iCloud Drive. You'll get a new desktop and documents folders that will be empty. Your files will be in the iCloud Drive folder. You can drag those where you would like (eg. Documents to the new Documents folder, Desktop to the Desktop).

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2023 8:38 PM in response to falsedichotomie

If you no longer wish to sync, turn off Desktop and Documents under iCloud Drive. You'll get a new desktop and documents folders that will be empty. Your files will be in the iCloud Drive folder. You can drag those where you would like (eg. Documents to the new Documents folder, Desktop to the Desktop).

How do I restore the Desktop on my Mac after uploading to icloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.