Volume problem on Apple TV

This just started on my Apple TV. Out of the blue. My silver remote used to allow me to co trip the volume, but now, whenever I press a volume button, I get this message: "Stack shot saved. Hold 6 seconds for analytics" and the volume remains the same. How does one get rid of this message and get the volume controls back?

[Edited by Moderator]

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 16

Posted on Oct 2, 2023 7:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2023 2:25 AM

“Stack shot” is supposed to be invoked by pressing the Play/Pause and Volume Down buttons simultaneously, not by only pressing the Volume Down button. Watch your grip on the remote, that you’re not accidentally pressing more buttons simultaneously.

It’s a debugging tool for developers. It stores a log of the current ‘call stack’ which can be transferred back to Xcode on a Mac. The information in it is completely useless to non-developers. You can safely ignore the stack shot.

If you’re not pressing more buttons accidentally, then your remote may still think that you do:

1. Try restarting just the remote. If the volume buttons on your Apple TV remote aren't working - Apple Support
  2. If a mechanical failure or electrical failure causes this, then the remote might need to be replaced. If the previous steps didn’t solve it, then contact Apple Support for advise.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2023 2:25 AM in response to wuddog

“Stack shot” is supposed to be invoked by pressing the Play/Pause and Volume Down buttons simultaneously, not by only pressing the Volume Down button. Watch your grip on the remote, that you’re not accidentally pressing more buttons simultaneously.

It’s a debugging tool for developers. It stores a log of the current ‘call stack’ which can be transferred back to Xcode on a Mac. The information in it is completely useless to non-developers. You can safely ignore the stack shot.

If you’re not pressing more buttons accidentally, then your remote may still think that you do:

1. Try restarting just the remote. If the volume buttons on your Apple TV remote aren't working - Apple Support
  2. If a mechanical failure or electrical failure causes this, then the remote might need to be replaced. If the previous steps didn’t solve it, then contact Apple Support for advise.

Oct 5, 2023 9:08 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Understand what stack shot is for.

Does not apply to me at all.

Did not intentionally initiate stack shot. Grip is fine.

Remote’s been restarted.

Apple TV box has been restarted.

Apple TV box has been returned to factory settings.

Play/Pause button does not respond at all.

Remote has been re-paired (not repaired).

Still no volume control and the “stack shot saved” message continually appears each time the volume button is pressed.

Volume problem on Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.