Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

How to restore previous WhatsApp backup?

Hello everyone,

I accidentally overwrote my WhatsApp backup on iCloud during the transfer to my new iPhone. How can I restore a previous WhatsApp backup? The app itself can only restore from the most recent backup. Can it really be the case that there's no history available in Apple's iCloud? Why do I even make weekly backups and pay so much for the iCloud service?

Thanks for your help.

iPhone 15 Pro, iOS 17

Posted on Oct 3, 2023 3:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2023 11:56 PM

I think this is a bit short-sighted. Am I paying for WhatsApp: No, it's free. Am I paying for iCloud and its backup system: Yes, a lot.

Why isn't there a history for app backups? This is clearly an Apple issue, right? The same situation could have occurred with any other app on iOS as well.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 10, 2023 11:56 PM in response to razmee209

I think this is a bit short-sighted. Am I paying for WhatsApp: No, it's free. Am I paying for iCloud and its backup system: Yes, a lot.

Why isn't there a history for app backups? This is clearly an Apple issue, right? The same situation could have occurred with any other app on iOS as well.

Oct 3, 2023 10:09 AM in response to orange-format-operant-riot

orange-format-operant-riot wrote:

Hello everyone,

I accidentally overwrote my WhatsApp backup on iCloud during the transfer to my new iPhone. How can I restore a previous WhatsApp backup? The app itself can only restore from the most recent backup. Can it really be the case that there's no history available in Apple's iCloud? Why do I even make weekly backups and pay so much for the iCloud service?

Thanks for your help.

A good question to ask Whatsapp support or look at the help site.

Oct 3, 2023 10:08 PM in response to razmee209

WhatsApp or Meta told me that as app developers, they don't have the capability to store multiple backups or versions in iCloud. They have to overwrite the last backup every time, so you can only restore the most recent backup on a iOS device.

But doesn't iCloud itself have any history or similar function? Shouldn't you be able to say, like with Google Drive, that you want to restore the WhatsApp backup from a specific date? Mistakes can happen, and that's what backups are for. Is there really no way to restore the overwritten WhatsApp-Backup from last week in iCloud?

Oct 4, 2023 8:16 AM in response to orange-format-operant-riot

orange-format-operant-riot wrote:

WhatsApp or Meta told me that as app developers, they don't have the capability to store multiple backups or versions in iCloud. They have to overwrite the last backup every time, so you can only restore the most recent backup on a iOS device.
But doesn't iCloud itself have any history or similar function? Shouldn't you be able to say, like with Google Drive, that you want to restore the WhatsApp backup from a specific date? Mistakes can happen, and that's what backups are for. Is there really no way to restore the overwritten WhatsApp-Backup from last week in iCloud?

No. if whatsapp can't help you with their own product then there isn't much you can do to recover your data.

How to restore previous WhatsApp backup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.