Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Font Black Chancery problem

After updating to Sonoma the font Black Chancery which display properly in pages but when you view it in preview or create a pdf file you get the a Corrupt image on this. This occurs on three different machines updated to Sonoma. This font has always worked in many Mac OS and versions of pages for over 10 years.

I am not sure if it a pages problem in creating a PDf’’ or Sonoma problem.

When looking its type up in the Mac Font book it lists it format as TrueType

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 3, 2023 6:53 AM

12 replies

Oct 5, 2023 7:07 AM in response to mvignola29

Hello mvignola29,

We can understand wanting to get this font back working on your macOS version of Sonoma. You may need to reinstall the Font Book on your Mac to get this fixed. You can look over and follow the steps on this page for help: Troubleshoot Font Book problems on Mac - Apple Support.

You may also want to check to see if the issue is use specific. If you do not have an alternate user you may need to create one to test with. Here's more information on that process: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac Change Users & Groups settings on Mac - Apple Support.

If not, check to see if the problem happens in Safe Mode. Here are a few of the reasons we want to test in safe mode:

• It performs First Aid on the startup volume, and attempts to repair errors if it finds them.
    • It limits third-party kernel extensions from loading.
    • It disables auto-login and suppresses startup items and login items.
    • It deletes certain cache files that could potentially cause macOS issues.

You can look over more information on this here Use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

We hope this information helps you out.

Cheers!

Oct 6, 2023 8:13 PM in response to mvignola29

That's my hope too. I think we'll just have to wait an update or two (at least that's what I hope since every worksheet and test I've created for the last two decades is in that font).

I was able to test another 70+ fonts, and it appears to be the only one affected like this so far. Support at the Apple Store said to wait until the next update after I asked about the problem and was able to show them on my older MacBook Air that it wasn't a corrupted font file as they first thought it might be.

Most of my fonts came from my dad who was a graphic artist. He had purchased a lot of fonts, but I believe Black Chancery originally came licensed with PageMaker or Illustrator way back in the late 80s or early 90s.

Oct 5, 2023 9:08 AM in response to genieen16

I booted in safe mode but it seems the process to do so does not work. I did a shutdown waited a minute and then press the power button on my Studio computer and continue pressing the power button until a screen with the startup drive and another option icon I select the start drive icon and press the shift key and when the login came up I released the shift key and enter password. The system started up but was not in safe mode. Not sure what to do next but the problem is still there. The font displays properly in pages or any other app. The problem come when you select either preview or create a PDF.

Pages view

PDF or Preview

Oct 11, 2023 6:19 AM in response to mvignola29

This is how it appears in the Finder. MacOS fails to identify this as a font. I am assuming there is something missing about this age old typeface.

I can see it is appearing in the pages and other applications. But, Fails while exporting from Pages to PDF or preview. I have raised this with apple feedback and awaiting response.

I have implemented an interim solution in my branding.

Oct 5, 2023 11:19 AM in response to mvignola29

I still am not able to get into safe mode I have disconnect my other monitors, scanner, printer and external drives.

My Studio computer just connecting to power cord and Cat6 connection ethernet. I am using wireless keyboard and trackpad.

Not sure what elsie I can do, I guess I can contact apple and use my apple support to see what else I can do

Oct 5, 2023 3:25 PM in response to mvignola29

It is a problem after the update to Sonoma that I've experienced as well.

For me it's only occurring for the one OpenType font (Arial MT Condensed Light) I have set as my default font for documents in Pages that I've used for years to create PDFs of my classroom worksheets. Last night was the first time after updating to Sonoma that I had to upload a PDF of a worksheet and my students were all complaining about the boxes in the upload.

This evening I tried changing the default font in Pages to another font, but same problem continued. I deleted and then reinstalled the Arial font package I had saved. All of the fonts in the family work except the one I use.

Oddly enough, my copy of Black Chancery (also a TrueType font—version 001.001) is working fine and all of the other random fonts I've tested so far work like always. It's just the one font that I always use that's acting up so far, but I do have over 400 fonts installed that I'd have to test.

Oct 6, 2023 7:46 AM in response to simfizx

Thanks for your reply, I was able to restart in safe mode as it was suggested. The problem still exists. I do not have the Arial MT condensed light font, so I am not able to test that one. Where did get your version of Black Chancery because it is not a Mac font. My version believe it or not came from the fonts used with IBM OS2warp. I have used it with my mac for many years with no problems, I publish a Weekly bulletin where this font has been used in the cover page for over 10 years.

My hope that apple will be able to resolve this issue when they do a system upgrade

Oct 11, 2023 1:07 AM in response to mvignola29

Thank you for highlighting this issue to Apple. I am facing a similar problem as well.. Black Chancery is one of my Brand Identity Fonts and I have used this in Pages for almost a decade now and I am in urgent need of creating professional documents. I am really disappointed after upgrading to MacOS Sonoma. I wasn't expecting this issue and there is no solution available. Please keep me informed if you have figured a solution for this issue.

I can say that, this issue is specific to MacOS and Pages. As there is no issue, If I use this font in Adobe Applications (like Illustrator and export as PDF).

Font Black Chancery problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.