Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Error on my Mac: Backup not completed. Disk "Toshiba Ext" contains backups created on a different computer

When i try to back up, I get this message, 'Backup not completed. Disk "Toshiba Ext" contains backups created on a different computer.'

What should I do? any advice?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Air 15″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Oct 3, 2023 9:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2023 9:38 AM

Does that disk appear in Disk Utility?

Disk Utility User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

If it does, reformat it using APFS: Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

5 replies

Oct 3, 2023 1:09 PM in response to John Galt

Thank you for your advice.

Genius Bar took care of the migration from the old laptop to the new one directly.

We didn't use the external drive.

My screen is damaged and I couldn't do it myself... which was good because I get so anxious when it comes to such things.

Thank you though. I will get a new one. What specifics should i look for in the new external drive?

Oct 3, 2023 1:33 PM in response to TWaso

👍

What specifics should i look for in the new external drive?

The answer is "it depends" — for example, if you intend to use it exclusively for Time Machine, then speed is utterly irrelevant. Simplicity and redundancy are far more important. Get any inexpensive, generic USB hard disk drive. Ideally, get two or more of them since any device can fail at any time for any reason, and you never want to be without at least one backup. That's the reason "inexpensive" is ideal.

On the other hand if you intend to use it for your Photos library, or for video editing, or anything that requires fast data throughput, get a fast SSD. Of course they are more expensive. Another thing to bear in mind is that when they fail, SSDs tend to fail catastrophically with no warning. Conventional hard disk drives almost always give you some warning, often becoming intolerably slow, gradually at first, before they become unusable.

If you don't know where to start: https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/external-storage

Error on my Mac: Backup not completed. Disk "Toshiba Ext" contains backups created on a different computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.