You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Why do I see a Blue box and not able to access emails on my iPhone?

Every time i open any email it shows a blue box and a question mark. I have very important emails i need to access but i can’t because of this. I’ve tried every email app, and even loading “block all remote content”. No help at all I’m using the iPhone 13

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 13, iOS 16

Posted on Oct 3, 2023 9:51 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2024 11:53 AM

I had the same problem since IOS 17.3.1 update to 11 ProMax No images in emails just blue question marks instead. Apple tech had no solution flipped lots of switches nothing helped. Articles and chat rooms had nothing. I repeatedly reset my network and then did a phone reset no help. Very frustrating. I went to settings then mail then privacy protection. Protect mail and block all images already were off. Then on a whim disabled Hide IP Address. Images now appear. I am monitoring to determine if resolved. Don’t know why it works but it does for me. So far so good for the last 24 hours. Try it and LMN if it works for you.

31 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 25, 2024 11:53 AM in response to xVaktus

I had the same problem since IOS 17.3.1 update to 11 ProMax No images in emails just blue question marks instead. Apple tech had no solution flipped lots of switches nothing helped. Articles and chat rooms had nothing. I repeatedly reset my network and then did a phone reset no help. Very frustrating. I went to settings then mail then privacy protection. Protect mail and block all images already were off. Then on a whim disabled Hide IP Address. Images now appear. I am monitoring to determine if resolved. Don’t know why it works but it does for me. So far so good for the last 24 hours. Try it and LMN if it works for you.

Feb 25, 2024 3:40 PM in response to singingsprite4

Lot's of people have complained about it in various chat rooms. And many folks - like you and me - are aware of the workaround - to click at the top to allow them. Many folks want the images to show as before and not to have to go to the extra step of clicking at the top for them to show on each and every email. Its a big waste of time for those with hundreds of daily news feeds etc. Problem remains annoying.

Feb 25, 2024 2:45 PM in response to xVaktus

I have never been able to figure out how to make the problem stop, or why some emails don't work and others do, but the fix is at the top of the email there is a box that you can click that says something about showing the images. I had the problem last night but its gone right now. The way to get the images to show is to click that small option at the very top. Mine shows below a message stating that "this message is from a mailing list." So, now I click on show images and everything loads, which makes the answers about the content not being available moot. They are just being blocked. Don't know why, I mean mine are ads for places like Fontanini, Carters/Oshkosh, Hanna Anderssen, Costco. Definitely nothing of worry...So look at the top. And hope, that for some random reason like mine, it will go away. At least it's a work around.

Oct 11, 2023 1:51 AM in response to xVaktus

Response to xVaktus … Mail ~ blue question mark

Hi ,

In Settings > mail > privacy protection > protect mail activity > OFF .

The question mark is in place of remote images , they're loading in the background for your security . I think there is an option to load them at the top of the mail message .

🔐

Legal - Data & Privacy - Apple

https://www.apple.com/legal/privacy/data/en/mail-privacy-protection/

Oct 5, 2023 10:49 AM in response to xVaktus

Thanks so much for confirming that xVaktus,

If updating has not helped, and the issue appears in multiple email apps (not just the iOS Mail app), it may be a wider issue related to the email itself. Are you able to access the attachments on another device?

If so, we would suggest getting in touch with Apple Support directly. They will have the tools and resources to further investigate the issue for you. You can do that here: Get Support

Have a wonderful day!

Feb 25, 2024 1:17 PM in response to KerryFranklin

I know it’s crazy making. Sorry I have nothing more to offer. Above note re disabling hide IP address worked for me.

did you try again going to settings then general then at the very bottom reset. There you can reset network settings and also reset all settings that is back to apple default. Just be careful you don’t choose the Erase all contents option that deletes your data. When you reset all settings you keep you data but will need to add some of your personal settings again for each app by example location tracking and notifications and your facial definition log in etc. then go back to the mail privacy settings again to ensure they are all switched off. Shut down your phone. Leave it off a couple of minutes. When on again check that the mail privacy switches are off.

FYI I use the IPhone email app not a 3rd party app

please know that I am not an apple tech. Just another user sharing what worked on my iPhone to fix images not appearing and blue question marks issue.

Why do I see a Blue box and not able to access emails on my iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.