iPhone 15 pro max earpiece crackling speaker issue

Hi, has anyone encountered cracking sounds from the earpiece speaker of the iPhone 15 Pro Max when playing audio at a loud volume?

My unit, which I received on 29 September, exhibit this cracking/distorted sound when playing any sound with the volume above 60-70%, depending on the content. I am no expert but it seems to affect the mid-high range of frequency. Some songs on Apple Music, and voices on some YouTube videos are affected. Strangely enough it doesn’t seem to happen with iOS sounds like ringtones and alerts. The issue persists even without screen protector or any case on the device, albeit screen protectors and cases seem to further amplify the distortion.

I don’t know if this issue is software-related, perhaps due to the way the phone render out the sound, or if it is caused by internal vibration of other components, obstruction of the air (this model has really narrow speaker opening), or if it’s actually caused by a defective speaker unit.

I live in Thailand and I have already visited the Apple Store. They recommend that I refund the current device and buy a new one for replacement, as they don’t offer any replacement unit, unlike in other countries. The problem is that there is no product available for me to purchase at the moment, and I could be waiting for a month for them the become available. I don’t want to return my current device and wait without a phone to use until I can get a new one.

So, I’d like to figure out if this issue is indeed a defect or a normal behavior of this model. If it is the latter, I’d not bother with the return and buy a new one process.

Thank you

(i have mistakenly tagged a wrong phone model below)

iPhone XS

Posted on Oct 3, 2023 12:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2024 9:24 PM

I just bought my i phone 15 plus fews days ago & i am facing the same issue .

Similar questions

24 replies

Jan 15, 2024 3:30 AM in response to OrigamiFan1

Chào OrigamiFan1,

I'm also having the same situation with my iPhone 15, Mr. Kornner's description is very similar to mine,

i went to the apple authorized center 3 times about my phone having a crackling/distorted sound when playing any sound above 60-70% volume, depending on the content. but the result is that my phone still gets green ticks when running apple tools. but the problem here is that "depending on the content" it will and the strange thing is that it doesn't seem to happen with sounds like iOS ringtones and alerts

I am very uncomfortable using it for 2 months now

I am in Vietnam
thanks for reading

Mar 18, 2024 3:48 PM in response to kornner

Hello, I am also an iphone 15 pro user. I had the processes you described tested by taking them to the service and experimenting. They all have the same result, crackling. When I review your message, I see that you have been using it for a long time. Has there been an improvement with long-term use?I would appreciate it if you could share your experiences and how you got an axiom about this problem right now.

Oct 5, 2023 11:59 AM in response to kornner

Hi kornner,

For help with the iPhone speaker hardware the technician you visited at the Apple Store would know best. However, you can also test the steps below found in the article here: If you hear no sound or distorted sound from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch speaker - Apple Support

"If you want to try more steps on your own

If you prefer, here are some more steps you can try on your own. After following these steps, you might still need to contact Apple Support to discuss service options.

1. Remove all screen protectors, films, or cases from your device. 
  2. Check the speaker opening to see if it's blocked or dirty. On iPhone only, make sure that the receiver isn't blocked or dirty. 
  3. If necessary, clean the speaker or receiver opening with a small, soft-bristled brush. Make sure that the brush is clean and dry.
  4. Go to Settings > Sounds (or Settings > Sounds & Haptics), and drag the Ringer and Alerts slider back and forth a few times. If you don't hear any sound, or if your speaker button on the Ringer and Alerts slider is dimmed, your speaker might need service.
  5. If you hear sound, try making a call with your iPhone and turn on speakerphone. On iPad or iPod touch, make a FaceTime call. If you still can't hear, or hear static or crackling, then your network or reception could be the issue. Try to call again later, or from a different location."

Should the issue remain, reach back out to the Apple Store for your service option or contact Apple directly here: Get Support

Best.

Mar 23, 2024 12:13 AM in response to aaytaca

I've been trying to keep usage under 60% for the past few months listening to music, I have no way to fix it, I'm sorry. I don't understand why the staff accepted that I could hear the noise clearly but had no way to help and said I should use speakers or airpods because these products are specialized for listening to music.

I asked if I wanted to replace the speaker and asked for a quote. She replied that my phone was still under warranty so she would replace the speaker for free, but only if the speaker was noisy. This was discovered on Apple's tool

iPhone 15 pro max earpiece crackling speaker issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.