Safari plays slow/lagged audio out of sync with video when Safari has been open for a while. Applies to video sources anywhere and all recent MacOS versions.

Occasionally, I will start a video in Safari (from any source, including YouTube, Hulu, Vimeo, Coursera, Khan Academy, etc.) and the video will play normally while the audio plays at an extremely slowed pace, gradually getting very far behind the video. To illustrate the degree; the speed is so slow that pitches are substantially lower; most voices are so low-pitched that few people could possibly speak in that range.

Notably, there are some other discussions that I think express the same issue, and all have been closed with little more than standard browser suggests (like restart or cache). The problem should not happen in the first place, whether or not there are temporary ways to recover from it. See audio out of sync on history channel stre… - Apple Community, YouTube and safari audio sync in videos - Apple Community, and maybe Audio/Video not syncing in the system vid… - Apple Community, for example.

This seems to happen only after Safari has been open for some time. I know that is vague, but in the years I've experienced this, I haven't identified any particular duration or action that triggers this (e.g. number of windows/tabs open, sleep/wake cycles, memory utilization, etc.), and every time it occurs, a restart of Safari fixes the issue for the time-being.

Yes, my reference to "years" means that I've experienced this on multiple MacBook Pro laptops on at least 3 different major versions of MacOS. I am fairly confident at this point that this is a defect in Safari.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.0

Posted on Oct 3, 2023 12:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2023 10:39 AM

I have had this problem for months as well. Just now I tried something and it seemed to fix the problem, at least temporarily.

Note that I have a USB audio interface, a Behringer UMC204HD. My Behringer is set to run audio at 48,000 Hz.

Today I was watching a YouTube video in Safari and the audio was slow and pitched down. I launched the Apple Audio MIDI Setup utility, selected my UMC204HD audio device, clicked on the Output tab, and saw that the Format was set to 44,100 Hz. I changed the format to 48,000 Hz, reloaded the YouTube page, restarted the video, and the speed and pitch were now correct.

This kind of makes sense. If the software and hardware don't agree on the sample rate, the playback will be wrong. I don't know if this is a permanent fix, but hopefully it's at least an easy workaround.

I have only ever had this problem in Safari. Chrome is fine, and other audio apps are fine as well.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 23, 2023 10:39 AM in response to lucky_luc

I have had this problem for months as well. Just now I tried something and it seemed to fix the problem, at least temporarily.

Note that I have a USB audio interface, a Behringer UMC204HD. My Behringer is set to run audio at 48,000 Hz.

Today I was watching a YouTube video in Safari and the audio was slow and pitched down. I launched the Apple Audio MIDI Setup utility, selected my UMC204HD audio device, clicked on the Output tab, and saw that the Format was set to 44,100 Hz. I changed the format to 48,000 Hz, reloaded the YouTube page, restarted the video, and the speed and pitch were now correct.

This kind of makes sense. If the software and hardware don't agree on the sample rate, the playback will be wrong. I don't know if this is a permanent fix, but hopefully it's at least an easy workaround.

I have only ever had this problem in Safari. Chrome is fine, and other audio apps are fine as well.

Oct 4, 2023 12:23 PM in response to lucky_luc

I have the same issue, also videos being lagged, no matter what codec the website uses for videos. The situation can also be temporarily fixed by changing the audio playback device. (For example I changed it to internal speaker then back to HDMI audio, and the audio synced with video and is back to normal speed.) This is obviously a bug introduced in macOS 14.

Safari plays slow/lagged audio out of sync with video when Safari has been open for a while. Applies to video sources anywhere and all recent MacOS versions.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.