Apple Gift card refund

Scammers asked me to to buy a gift card of $1000, send them a copy of the gift card which they have already used it in a fraction of a second. Can it be tracked by Apple or get a refund from Apple. Thanks

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Oct 3, 2023 1:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2023 2:12 PM

I’m fairly sure no company will reimburse you for getting scammed. As other end users we cannot know if Apple can trace a card number but we do know they are not in the law enforcement business. Report the scam to the proper authorities and consider yourself now educated.

7 replies

Oct 3, 2023 2:53 PM in response to vinnieb16

See -> About Gift Card Scams -> About Gift Card Scams - Official Apple Support

Contact Apple

• If you have additional questions, or if you've been a victim of a scam involving Apple Gift Cards, App Store & iTunes Gift Cards or Apple Store Gift Cards, you can call Apple at 800-275-2273 (U.S.) and say "gift cards" when prompted, or contact Apple Support online.

Jan 11, 2024 2:33 PM in response to vinnieb16

You should just chalk it up to a valuable lesson learned. You should never purchase a gift card and provide the codes to anyone unless you are planning on giving that money. Only you can stop yourself from giving an unknown person your money and there is no one else to blame. See this article to avoid phishing scams as well as the Gift Card scam already posted.

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

It is unlikely you will be able recover the money as the possible recourse would be finding who this person is and charging them in court. Apple may be able to provide where it was redeemed, but the investigation would be on you and you don't even know if the person can be charged in the courts of your region. Any investigation would include IP addresses of the scammer requiring court order for identity and possible camera footage if used in a retail location. You will end up spending more money in trying to find the person than the amount you would recoup.

Jan 11, 2024 2:11 PM in response to vinnieb16

I received an email from someone pretending to be my co-worker and asked about my phone number. Both of us then started a conversation on i-message. He then asked me to buy gift cards. The reason given was to surprise the employees for their valuable work done by gifting them those gift cards. I genuinely believed him because he even named out some other co-workers. He made me scratch those gift cards and reveal the digits of those gift cards. It made me suspicious when I ended up spending $ 1800 worth of gift cards and he was not reimbursing that amount by wnd of the day. Then I talked to him in person, and then I came to know it wasn't him. and I was scammed.

Guys don't trust anyone, have a conversation in person before spending any amount for others.

[Edited by Moderator]

Apple Gift card refund

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.