People can't hear me on calls after IOS 17.0.2 update

Basically the title. I have an iphone 14 pro that was on IOS 16 Before I updated to IOS 17.0.2 2 days ago. Since the update, people cannot hear me on any regular calls. This was verified both on cellular and wifi.

Mic is confirmed to be fine, since calling with third party app works without issues. But, I can't make or receive calls because people can't hear me. I can hear people fine.

This was tested with airpod pro, speaker, holding the phone up to the ear, and even with third party Bluetooth (Bose soundwear). In all instances, people couldn't hear me through regular phone calls, while calls with third party apps (Whatsapp, etc.) Works fine.

Having a $1k phone that can't make calls is ridiculous. I use my phone for work and the fact that I have to reject every call and call them back from my office phone is ridiculous.. and when I'm not in office, I can't call anyone..period.

Why isn't this being fixed immediately? To serve the basic purpose of what a phone should do?

iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 17

Posted on Oct 3, 2023 8:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2023 10:21 AM

Exactly the same issue for me. Updated to iOS 17.1. Nobody can hear me. I've tried everything - reset network, reboot, contact my carrier. Nothing works.

29 replies

Nov 21, 2023 2:18 PM in response to H_LA

I’m having this issue too. The day before my phone forced the update, I had a nice long phone call on the AirPods with no issue. The next day when I made a call, the other person couldn’t hear me even though I could hear them. Same thing happened again today. Then a coworker told me he’s had the exact same issue since his phone updated. This is ridiculous, Apple. Why are your updates forced on your customers even though everyone knows they’re going to fix some things while inconveniently breaking others? Aren’t you supposed to have some of the best developers in the world?

ETA I tried the fixes posted above. They didn’t work.

Jan 16, 2024 7:53 PM in response to H_LA

I had the same issue until I did the update and then, for some reason it randomly fixed itself but I’ve noticed the audio IN has been messing up ever since the new update… my talk to text rarely ever works. I have to play with it for a while, if I record something on my phone sometimes doesn’t pick up sound. This is an expensive phone and it’s definitely very frustrating

Dec 5, 2023 12:18 PM in response to H_LA

Hi,

my phone has updated to the newest software and I am having the same issue.

No one can hear me and I cannot hear them on a normal call.

When I use FaceTime or WhatsApp it works and I’ve done the network reset but that has not fixed the issue.

I need my phone for work and at the moment I cannot take any calls.

Oct 6, 2023 7:04 PM in response to H_LA

I am having this issue too - it's been ongoing for 24+ hours now. I'm on iOS 17.0.3 and use Xfinity for phone service. I've tested my speaker with Voice Memos and other apps, and still appears to be working fine. I've also reset my network settings and done just about everything except reset the whole phone. Definitely seems related to the software update. Please update if you find an answer!

Oct 11, 2023 11:39 PM in response to H_LA

RESOLVED

I called my cellphone carrier. On my side, they asked me to reset NETWORK (just network, not everything) settings.

Settings --> General --> Transfer or Reset Phone --> Reset --> Reset Network Settings.

On their side, they performed all kind of refresh "things". I'm not sure what exactly.

I don't know if the solution was because of the reset, the refresh from the carrier, or a combination of things, but now the iPhone is back to normal and the other side can hear me perfectly.

I would start with network reset and see if this solves the problem.

Hope it helps.

Oct 5, 2023 3:23 PM in response to H_LA

Hello H_LA,

Thank you for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. There's a new update available for your iPhone which is iOS 17.0.3. We recommend to update the software on your iPhone to the latest version as it provides software improvements that may help you in this situation. If needed, here's how to update the software on your iPhone:

Update your iPhone or iPad wirelessly
1. Back up your device using iCloud or your computer.
2. Plug your device into power and connect to the internet with Wi-Fi.
3. Go to Settings > General, then tap Software Update.
4. If you see more than one software update option available, choose the one that you want to install.
5. Tap Install Now. If you see Download and Install instead, tap it to download the update, enter your passcode, then tap Install Now. If you don't know your passcode, learn what to do.
An iPhone showing the option to download and install the update

These steps are outlined in this article: Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

After completing the iOS update, you'll also want to see if there's a possible carrier settings update. This can also improve the connectivity and performance on your device. Here's how:

Manually update your carrier settings on your iPhone or iPad
Carrier settings updates let your carrier provider update carrier network and related settings to improve cellular network connectivity and performance. Carrier settings updates can also add support for new features like 5G or Wi-Fi Calling.

When a carrier settings update is available, you'll be prompted to install it. Installation takes less than one minute, and you can keep using your device normally. If your carrier releases a mandatory update, you'll see an OK button instead of an Update button to let you know that the update was downloaded and installed.

If you dismiss the installation notification, you can manually update carrier settings by following these steps:
1. Make sure that your device is connected to Wi-Fi or a cellular network.
2. Tap Settings > General > About.
3. Follow the onscreen instructions to install your carrier update.
If you set up a new eSIM or insert a new SIM card into your iPhone or iPad, you might need to download the carrier settings for your new carrier.
To see the version of carrier settings on your device, tap Settings > General > About and look next to Carrier. To see additional carrier information, tap the version number. To verify that you have the latest carrier settings installed, contact your carrier.

These steps are outlined in this article if you need to reference them: Manually update your carrier settings on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Kind regards.

Oct 5, 2023 3:40 PM in response to H_LA

The fact that WhatsApp works is a good indication the hardware is all working, and the problem you are seeing is likely to be within the software and settings for the Phone app. It is unlikely to be a bug in the programming for Phone, because your report is the only one we have noticed - but if it was a bug it would hit every user who upgraded. That leaves a corrupted software install, or Settings (which should not change themselves just by updating). So, prime suspect is a corrupted application, something glitched in the upgrade process..

As bryanr14 has mentioned above, there is a new software release iOS 17.0.3 which is likely to reload most of the iOS operating system and apps. This will be worth a try because it offers the fastest chance of a fix.

Oct 5, 2023 6:12 PM in response to H_LA

I understand it may not be a pervasive issue, but please refer to the thread titled "speaker phone not working after IOS 17 upgrade". While the original poster's issues were not identical to mine, many of the posters on that thread had/have the same issues that I do.

Oct 11, 2023 8:07 PM in response to H_LA

Just as an update, my mic started working randomly a few days ago. I didn't do anything outside of turning off Personalized Spacial Audio.. but I'm not quite sure if this is a solution. I'm afraid to turn it back on to see if this was the issue, since I do need to talk on my phone daily.

I'm still on 17.0.2, since the problem seems like it hasn't been resolved and I'm afraid updating will only bring the issue back.

Please give turning off Personalized Spacial Audio a try and let me know if that helps!

Dec 17, 2023 2:54 AM in response to H_LA

I invested 1.5 lakhs in an Apple phone, but I've encountered persistent issues. Initially, a green screen problem arose due to an update, and it took 25 days to fix it at iPlanet, fortunately free of charge. Now, there's an ongoing problem where the person on the other end can't hear me during regular calls, although WhatsApp calls and voice memos work fine. Despite the premium cost, I believe Apple should provide better service. If this persists, I might create a YouTube video to share my experience, potentially influencing others not to purchase iPhones. The company needs to address these issues promptly, especially since I rely on my phone for important calls.nd i regret using apple and i think samsung ultra ones are perfect. APPLE U FAILED US.

People can't hear me on calls after IOS 17.0.2 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.