Apple TV: Airplay to Sonos stops when HDMI-cable is plugged out on tvOS 17.0

Hi everyone,

I have a setup where I use an Apple TV 4K (1.Gen) that isn‘t connected to an actual TV to send Apple Music through Airplay to Sonos speakers.

Since I updated to tvOS 17.0, this isn‘t working anymore. Interestingly, everything works fine when the Apple TV is connected to a TV with an HDMI-cable. As soon as I plug the HDMI-cable out, the playback stops, although on the iPhone it shows no sign of stopping or pause. Playback bar keeps going up. Just the audio is gone. Plug the HDMI-cable back in, audio is back right away.

Never has this problem on tvOS 16.x. I‘m hoping for an update to fix this.

If anyone is having similar problems and knows a workaround, please share. Thank you!

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 17

Posted on Oct 4, 2023 12:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2023 1:02 AM

Thanks for your reply. I found a solution: I‘m using a HDMI dummy plug (EDID emulator), that is plugged into the Apple TV. Works perfect. With that, the music keeps playing on the Sonos speakers through AirPlay.

2 replies

Oct 5, 2023 4:43 PM in response to rogy89

Hello rogy89,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

It sounds like you may need to choose the playback destination from where your music is playing from. Since it still shows on the iPhone that the music is playing, it sounds like that is all that needs to happen. Check out that information here: Play audio from iPhone on HomePod and other wireless speakers - Apple Support.

Play audio from iPhone on a wireless device
1. On your iPhone, open an audio app, such as Podcasts  or Music , then choose an item to play.
2. Tap the Playback Destination button, then choose a playback destination.
3. Note: If your AirPlay 2-enabled devices don’t appear in the list of playback destinations, make sure they’re on the same Wi-Fi network. With a Bluetooth device, the playback destination returns to iPhone if you move the device out of Bluetooth range.
To select the playback destination, you can also tap the Playback Destination button on the Lock Screen or in Control Center.
Note: For information about setting up a Bluetooth audio device, see Pair a Bluetooth headphone, car kit, game controller, or other device.

Play audio on multiple AirPlay 2-enabled devices
With AirPlay 2 and iPhone, you can play audio on multiple AirPlay 2-enabled devices connected to the same Wi-Fi network. For example, you can play a party playlist on HomePod speakers in the living room and kitchen, on an Apple TV in the bedroom, and on an AirPlay 2-enabled smart TV in the den.
Siri: Say something like:
* “Stop playing music everywhere”
* “Set the dining room volume to 10 percent”
* “What’s playing in the kitchen?”
* “Play a song I like in the kitchen”
* “Add the living room speaker”
* “Remove the music from the kitchen”
* “Move the music to the den”
You can also choose playback destinations from the iPhone screen.
1. Tap the Playback Destination button in Control Center, on the Lock Screen, or on the Now Playing screen for the app you’re listening to.
2. Select each device you want to use.
Note: Devices arranged in a stereo pair are treated as a single audio device.

We hope this information helps you out.

Kind regards!

Apple TV: Airplay to Sonos stops when HDMI-cable is plugged out on tvOS 17.0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.