Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Time Machine won't eject, but all other external discs do

All my external discs always eject normally, except one: the Time Machine SSD. It never ejects normally.

I know there are workarounds, but I think they should be used if it happens once. The fact that TM (and only TM) never ejects normally worries me. More than any other drive, backup discs should work flawlessly.

Any idea to tackle this issue? Many thanks in advance for your help.

I use MacOS 13.5.1 on a 2021 M1 MacBook Pro.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Oct 4, 2023 1:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2023 1:48 AM

What exactly happens when the TM Backup drive is being ejected ?

Is there an error message ?

Is TM Backup set to a Schedule and you are trying to eject while it is attempting to perform a Schedule Backup.

Aside and perhaps worthy of your attention " I use MacOS 13.5.1 on a 2021 M1 MacBook Pro. "

The Current version of Ventura is presently 13.6 and there is as Standalone update for Safari 17

About the security content of macOS Ventura 13.6

About the security content of Safari 17

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2023 1:48 AM in response to PierreJT

What exactly happens when the TM Backup drive is being ejected ?

Is there an error message ?

Is TM Backup set to a Schedule and you are trying to eject while it is attempting to perform a Schedule Backup.

Aside and perhaps worthy of your attention " I use MacOS 13.5.1 on a 2021 M1 MacBook Pro. "

The Current version of Ventura is presently 13.6 and there is as Standalone update for Safari 17

About the security content of macOS Ventura 13.6

About the security content of Safari 17

Oct 4, 2023 2:37 AM in response to PRP_53

The error message is the classical "The disc "Time Machine" wasn't ejected because one or more programmes may be using it. To eject the disc immediately, click the Force Eject button".

The problem arises in all cases, whether TM is working or not. If the schedule is on "Manual", it happens too. By the way, I used the S.O.S. thing in Disc Utility, with no results.

I'll update MacOS and Safari to see if things get better.

Oct 4, 2023 3:12 AM in response to PierreJT

Thank you

Had to ask as some users ( not you ) partition the drive for Multi Purposes and run into this type of issue

Though this type of message " "Time Machine" wasn't ejected because one or more programmes may be using it. " seems to indicate some Third Party Application is causing this specific error message

Back in OS X 10.4 Tiger when I first stated on Apple Machines I was not away that AntiVirus Software was totally not needed.

When I tried to do certain things on an External Drive would be similar error message

Removed the Garbage AV software and problem solved

Time Machine won't eject, but all other external discs do

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.