Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Notch keeps showing airplay icon even when not in use.

Since the recent iOS 17.0.2 update my iPhone 12 mini has a blue flashing AirPlay icon in the left side of the notch when the screen is unlocked, regardless of whether or not I’m using AirPlay. I’d frankly rather it just kept the time displayed there regardless, but some rationale behind it would be nice in lieu of an actual setting, which doesn’t appear to exist.

iPhone 12 mini

Posted on Oct 4, 2023 11:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2023 3:41 AM

The latest update has stopped it covering the clock for me but still shows sometimes when I disconnect from my HomePod mini.

9 replies

Nov 13, 2023 12:24 AM in response to Sean Aaron

Every time I post to say this is sorted it happens again. Since the tvOS 17.1.1 update on the HomePods it’s reared its head again. If there’s a positive at least this time I can see the time in the blue oval and not just the AirPlay icon.

No pattern yet, just woke up to find it doing this again despite not showing any AirPlay connection. Tried killing the music app, but no dice. I fall asleep listening to music from a stereo pair of HomePod minis in the bedroom with the timer set to stop playing, so I’m not explicitly disconnecting. I guess the timeout of the AirPlay link is failing to reflect in the wee notch space for some reason…

Notch keeps showing airplay icon even when not in use.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.