Game mode not working

"When you enter full screen in this way, a Game Mode menu appears in the menu bar."

...no, no it doesnt. I just installed Sonoma and the game mode menu doesnt show up when im playing in full screen windowed or when i tab out of a full screen game. No difference in performance either

MacBook Pro 2019

2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4 GB

Posted on Oct 4, 2023 4:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2024 12:39 PM

Well, I've a macbook with M1 chip and the latest version of Mac OS Sonoma (14.4). The game mode turned on in only 1 of the 20 games that I launched.

There are no instructions here on how to enable this mode manually. There are no instructions for developers on how to add support for this mode to their applications.

This is terrible

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2024 12:39 PM in response to Rossnic

Well, I've a macbook with M1 chip and the latest version of Mac OS Sonoma (14.4). The game mode turned on in only 1 of the 20 games that I launched.

There are no instructions here on how to enable this mode manually. There are no instructions for developers on how to add support for this mode to their applications.

This is terrible

Jan 25, 2024 10:14 AM in response to Rossnic

Game mode makes the bottom of my Mac Pro very hot. I don't like that at all. None of the games I play need a game mode. Why doesn't that pop-up when Game Mode turns on offer me the option of saying no, I don't want it on. I think Apple was assuming that every game allows the user to see the bar where the game mode icon appears so that it can be turned off. None of my games do. So I'm stuck with a game mode that I don't need and don't want. So if you don't give me a choice about using Game Mode, at least do something about the heat from that mode.

Oct 5, 2023 3:13 AM in response to graziella280

Hi graziella280,

Game Mode is a feature introduced with macOS Sonoma and is available for Mac models with Apple Silicon, particularly those with an M-series chip. This implies that it won't work on Intel-based Macs.

Given your MacBook Pro 2019 has an Intel Core i9, it's likely that the lack of an M-series chip is the cause of the problem. Hence, Game Mode might not be available for your model.

Game mode not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.