iPhone 15 WiFi painfully slow.

Upgraded to an iPhone15 from an iPhone X (yes, really) and ever since the wifi connection is awful. Pages that loaded perfectly on the same WiFi with my iPhone X, will load very slow if at all. More often than not, I end up getting frustrated with the slowness that I just exit out of the app or site. It’s really bad and I’m not sure if this is a settings problem or if my WiFi chip might be defective??

iPhone 15 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Oct 4, 2023 4:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2023 8:55 PM

Ooooh!

I found it.

I thought I was going crazy or it was wifi 6E or just a flakey connection.

Settings>Safari>Advanced>Advanced Tracking and Protection Fingerprinting Protection.

Turn this off.

I toggled it back and forth and it's night and day.

This 100% solved it for me.

56 replies

Oct 19, 2023 5:03 PM in response to MrBill3

Thanks but I’m familiar with the difference between cellular and WiFi. Here’s a better diagnosis:

1. Connected phone to WiFi
  2. wifi was poop. Reset network settings
  3. reset was effective
  4. left house (out of range of WiFi)
  5. returned to house (back in range of WiFi)
  6. WiFi is poop again. ONLY on iPhone. Cellular data is fine

clearly the phone is the issue like the other 800 people here.

Jan 7, 2024 6:46 AM in response to xarmanno

I have similar experiences. I have tried a number of the suggestions in this discussion, but nothing has really helped. Apps are often very slow (crazy slow) and most of the time are unusable. The only "fix" is restarting my iphone 15 pro max. I have had iphones for years and have never had to restart them as frequently. With my older iphones, I might restart every month or two. With the 15, I have to restart it at least a couple of times per week, just to get some apps to work.

We are an Apple house (9 devices) and our experience is that each new addition is a little more expensive than the last, and a little more problematic. We aren't at the point of abandoning apple yet, but we are getting there.

Nov 16, 2023 2:04 PM in response to xarmanno

Worst iPhone ever released. Even after multiple updates still overheating and runs RIDICULOUSLY SLOW ALL THE TIME. I have done all settings adjustments listed to increase speed but on WiFi it will barely load a webpage half the time and forget streaming a video. Won’t even load ESPN app. Wish I had never purchased. Still inside return window so probably going to try and return for a 14. My wife’s phone has none of these issues

Dec 16, 2023 1:29 PM in response to xarmanno

The problem is likely that VPN is on. And a second problem is, turning VPN off takes two steps (it likes to turn itself back on).

1. Go to Settings --> General --> VPN & Device Management
  2. Click on VPN and then click on Lockdown Configurations
  3. Turn off connect on demand.

This will turn off VPN and ensure it won't try to start up again. I went through this with an Apple technician and it solved my internet speed problem.

Nov 3, 2023 11:55 AM in response to Garyomartin11

Mine was already off and I still have the problem.

My issue is when wifi is on web pages pretty much won't totally load no matter who's house or if public or private places, but if I turn off wifi the page loads quickly. Video streams from any platform play fine on wifi download speeds when checked on my iphone Pro Max are 97-98 MB down and about 2-3 MB up. Using the web browsers just sucks on wifi.

Nov 14, 2023 7:26 AM in response to xarmanno

Same thing is happening to me, on both the iPhone 15 pro max and an iPhone XR so this is definitely a software thing and not a hardware thing. For the 15, WiFi only = 36Mbps, WiFi + data = 163 Mbps, data only 350 Mbps. The XR’s data only is slower due to not having 5G but it paints a similar picture. Eagerly awaiting an update that fixes this because we shouldn’t have to change settings on our router based on a software update on our phone 🤔

[Edited by Moderator]

Oct 21, 2023 3:42 PM in response to xarmanno

I believe I've figured it out. If you have iCloud+, there is an option that I did add without realizing it when I first got the phone or updated it. It's not displayed as a VPN or in the VPN setting. That's why I think it's been so hard to figure out. It's under Settings > iCloud > iCloud+ > Private Relay > Off. Restart your phone after turning it off and my download speed went from 97mbps to 496mbps, as it should since I have a download speed of up to 1200mbps from my home service. I hope this helps. It has been driving me crazy since my 11-year-old computer was downloading so much faster compared to my new iPhone 15 Pro.

Feb 12, 2024 5:17 PM in response to JimmyMacComingBack

OK everyone, I tried every suggestion in this post. I finally though fixed it.

go to Settings

click Wi-fi

Choose the network you are using and hit the blue i circle on the right

If you have Private Wi-fi Address "on", shut it off...wait a minute, click it back on.

BOOM - worked amazing for a while, then slowly it crept back to crap again.

Next - I reset my network settings. It didn't fix it.

Finally I went into the blue i on my wifi again and shut off the Private network and left it off. So far so good.

Jan 5, 2024 4:48 PM in response to xarmanno

Each Apple product I have is less capable than with less useful features than previous Apple products. I have this issue with my $1k iPhone 15pro as well. I wish had kept the 12 pro which worked just fine. The latests OS updates across the board were the worst I’ve seen in a long time. That said, I eventually did find a fix… I gave the device to my niece and bought a different product / brand. Now I have none of these issues. That was the only fix that worked for me.

iPhone 15 WiFi painfully slow.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.