Error message with Sonoma

I have a 2019 iMac- I checked that it’s compatible to download Sonoma. I can only download in safe mode which is fine and lasts night while trying it said I needed to free up 5.58gb which I have done but now I keep getting this message:

macos could not be downloaded. Make sure you’re connected to the internet…an error occurred while

downloading the selected update. Please check your internet connection and try again.

I don’t get it- I AM connected to the internet, in fact its running on

a super fast fiber optic connection. Whats going on?

Posted on Oct 4, 2023 4:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2023 4:42 PM

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing issues with downloading macOS Sonoma on your 2019 iMac. The error message you're encountering suggests there might be an issue with the download process, even though you're connected to a fast internet connection.

Here are some steps you can try to resolve this issue:

1. **Restart Your iMac:** Sometimes, restarting your computer can resolve download issues. It can help clear any temporary glitches.

2. **Check Internet Connection:** Even though you have a fast internet connection, it's possible that there might be a momentary drop in the connection. Ensure your internet connection is stable and not experiencing any disruptions.

3. **Try a Different Wi-Fi Network:** If possible, you could try connecting to a different Wi-Fi network or using an Ethernet cable to ensure the issue isn't related to your specific network.

4. **Check Free Space:** Double-check that you have enough free space on your iMac's storage for the macOS Sonoma download. You mentioned freeing up space, but ensure it's sufficient.

5. **Delete Previously Downloaded Files:** Sometimes, a corrupted or incomplete download can cause issues. Delete any previously downloaded macOS files that might be present on your system.

6. **Download from Apple's Website:** Instead of relying on the automatic update process, you can try downloading the macOS Sonoma installer directly from Apple's website and then installing it manually. Here's the link: [Download macOS from Apple](https://www.apple.com/macos/).

7. **Reset NVRAM/PRAM:** Resetting your iMac's NVRAM (non-volatile random-access memory) or PRAM (parameter RAM) can sometimes help with system-related issues. You can do this by restarting your Mac and holding down the Option, Command, P, and R keys simultaneously during startup until you hear the startup chime twice.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, it's possible that there may be an underlying problem with your iMac's hardware or macOS installation. In that case, you may want to contact Apple Support or visit an Apple Store or authorized service provider for further assistance.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2023 4:42 PM in response to SV121

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing issues with downloading macOS Sonoma on your 2019 iMac. The error message you're encountering suggests there might be an issue with the download process, even though you're connected to a fast internet connection.

Here are some steps you can try to resolve this issue:

1. **Restart Your iMac:** Sometimes, restarting your computer can resolve download issues. It can help clear any temporary glitches.

2. **Check Internet Connection:** Even though you have a fast internet connection, it's possible that there might be a momentary drop in the connection. Ensure your internet connection is stable and not experiencing any disruptions.

3. **Try a Different Wi-Fi Network:** If possible, you could try connecting to a different Wi-Fi network or using an Ethernet cable to ensure the issue isn't related to your specific network.

4. **Check Free Space:** Double-check that you have enough free space on your iMac's storage for the macOS Sonoma download. You mentioned freeing up space, but ensure it's sufficient.

5. **Delete Previously Downloaded Files:** Sometimes, a corrupted or incomplete download can cause issues. Delete any previously downloaded macOS files that might be present on your system.

6. **Download from Apple's Website:** Instead of relying on the automatic update process, you can try downloading the macOS Sonoma installer directly from Apple's website and then installing it manually. Here's the link: [Download macOS from Apple](https://www.apple.com/macos/).

7. **Reset NVRAM/PRAM:** Resetting your iMac's NVRAM (non-volatile random-access memory) or PRAM (parameter RAM) can sometimes help with system-related issues. You can do this by restarting your Mac and holding down the Option, Command, P, and R keys simultaneously during startup until you hear the startup chime twice.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, it's possible that there may be an underlying problem with your iMac's hardware or macOS installation. In that case, you may want to contact Apple Support or visit an Apple Store or authorized service provider for further assistance.

Oct 4, 2023 4:40 PM in response to SV121

It will help us get a good idea of what is causing your problem if you provide a report of your system, that way we do not have to play 20 questions with you. The report we are requesting does NOT provide any personal information and is extremely safe to use. Please navigate to www.Etrecheck.com and download the free version of EtreCheck. Once you have you downloaded the app and installed it, please run the report and save it. This report will help us get a good idea what has been installed on your system and help us be able to diagnose what may be wrong.

When you have your report, you can attach it when you reply to this message and we can then review it and help you determine what is needed to get your system running well again. 

For instructions on how to download your EtreCheck report and attach it to your reply to this message please click How to use the Add Text Feature When Post… - Apple Community It is helpful to us if you download the report to your Desktop.

Oct 27, 2023 2:49 PM in response to SV121

Did you ever figure this out? For me, I'm unable to download the update over ethernet. I got it to work over Wi-Fi but for future updates I feel like I shouldn't have to disable my ethernet every time. In addition, my MacBook running Monterey had issues download a 1 gig file yesterday over wifi reporting SSL errors which is what I would get when trying to download the update directly. Windows computers don't seem to have the same issue neither on Wi-Fi or ethernet. Restarted both computers, restarted ethernet switches, routers, and modem but no luck

Oct 27, 2023 3:02 PM in response to ihowiz

Using this terminal command multiple times

softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version 14.1

I can see it get to exactly 90% consistently before failing with the following error:

Install failed with error: Installation failed 
Error Domain=PKDownloadError Code=8 "(null)" UserInfo={NSUnderlyingError=0x600003758f00 {Error Domain=PKDownloadError Code=14 "(null)"}} 

Changing DNS and safe mode don't get around this error. Can't find what Code=14 is online, only Code=8. The final time I ran it, it presented a different error:

Install failed with error: An internal error occurred 

Error message with Sonoma

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.