Transfering ownership of IMac Desktop

I am a therapist. My employer purchased Desktops for the practice about a year ago. I am now switching to working solely from home. I want to purchase an identical (same make/model/memory etc.) and swap it out with the IMac at work and bring the one I have been using for the last year home to make the transition seamless. She is all on board with this idea however, we are wondering if there is anything we need to do in order to have the old serial number transferred to me in case service is ever needed on it.

Posted on Oct 5, 2023 5:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2023 8:53 AM

A copy of the original sales receipt for the Mac is all that would be needed to secure service for the Mac that has transferred hands. If your boss is on board, then perhaps they can provide you a printed copy of the sales receipt or invoice for that purpose.

While you may be tempted to secure a sales receipt indicating you have purchased the Mac from your company, that is not likely to be sufficient proof to Apple of the validity of a legitimate transfer of ownership. The original purchase receipt is always preferred.

Of course, both would be absolutely best. 👍🏽

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2023 8:53 AM in response to ArtistDle

A copy of the original sales receipt for the Mac is all that would be needed to secure service for the Mac that has transferred hands. If your boss is on board, then perhaps they can provide you a printed copy of the sales receipt or invoice for that purpose.

While you may be tempted to secure a sales receipt indicating you have purchased the Mac from your company, that is not likely to be sufficient proof to Apple of the validity of a legitimate transfer of ownership. The original purchase receipt is always preferred.

Of course, both would be absolutely best. 👍🏽

Transfering ownership of IMac Desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.