How do I add the Ventura desktop pictures to my "Desktop Pictures" in Photos?

Want to add a few of the Ventura desktop pictures My Desktop Pictures in Photos. I use that album to rotate pictures to my desktop. Used o be easy to just copy pictures from the apple collection to Photos, but I can't find a source of the aApple pictures to add.

Please advise

MacBook Air, macOS 14.0

Posted on Oct 5, 2023 10:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2023 1:35 PM

I’m not sure that’s gonna be the full image, but to show hidden files, use the shortcut: cmd-shift-.

You must download the full image.

Or, you can use go to folder from the view menu in Finder. Paste this into the path field:

/System/Library/Desktop Pictures/.thumbnails
12 replies

Oct 6, 2023 8:06 AM in response to rwzpv

rwzpv wrote:

Want to add a few of the Ventura desktop pictures My Desktop Pictures in Photos. I use that album to rotate pictures to my desktop. Used o be easy to just copy pictures from the apple collection to Photos, but

I can't find a source of the aApple pictures to add.
Please advise

System you have no r/w access to System files, From Finder>Go>Go to Folder copy & paste:

/System/Library/Desktop Pictures

you can add here—

/Library/Desktop Pictures

ref: Customize the wallpaper on your Mac - Apple Support

Nov 10, 2023 11:22 AM in response to leroydouglas

The pictures in the /LibrarySystem/Desktop Pictures have file extensions *.makedesktop. trying to open one yields:

"There is no application set to open the document “Ventura Graphic.madesktop”.

/Library/Desktop Pictures contains a small number of old .jpg

I set Settings/Wallpaper pointing to a Desktop pictures album in Photos, a custom selection of meaningful images from Photos, including earlier .jpg Desktop Pictures from before Ventura.

As a possible work-around, I tried dragging a Photos image to /Library/Desktop Pictures, but got "z.png couldn't be copied because you don't have permission to access..."

It seems I can't use any of the Ventura Desktop Pictures (except maybe as screen shots)

Nov 10, 2023 11:56 AM in response to rwzpv

rwzpv wrote:

The pictures in the /LibrarySystem/Desktop Pictures have file extensions *.makedesktop. trying to open one yields:
"There is no application set to open the document “Ventura Graphic.madesktop”.

Those files are just placeholders. Try opening the file with a text editor. It might contain the path to the image file.

Nov 15, 2023 11:03 AM in response to Barney-15E

Opened The Beach.makedesktop files in /LibrarySystem/Desktop Pictures.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>mobileAssetID</key>

<string>The Beach</string>

<key>thumbnailPath</key>

<string>/System/Library/Desktop Pictures/.thumbnails/The Beach.heic</string>

<key>isDynamic</key>

<true/>

<key>isSolar</key>

<true/>

<key>width</key>

<real>6016.0</real>

<key>height</key>

<real>6016.0</real>

</dict>

</plist>

There's reference to The Beach.heic, in a .thumbnails subdirectory that is not visible.

How do I get to the actual image?

Nov 16, 2023 12:22 PM in response to Barney-15E

Barney, which folder doesn't exist?

I long ago created an album in Photos named My Desktop Pictures with personally meaningful photos. I have used that album for many years as the source for what Apple has now relabeled Wallpaper.

In MacOS 14.1.1, I have chosen that album as my wallpaper, and it's working fine.

My questions is about accessing some of the more interesting images in the latest Ventura "wallpapers' to add to my Photos album

Nov 16, 2023 4:46 PM in response to rwzpv

rwzpv wrote:

The shortcut revealed a folder named wallpapers, which contained two folders. One was .mov patterns files, one contained thumbnails and a ,mov of the Sonoma vineyards, and one heic of the vineyards, which I added to my album in Photos.
No other jpg or heic from previous OS versions were available.

I'm pretty sure you must download them for them to be there. It doesn't keep old ones you downloaded on a previous OS. If they are listed in Wallpapers and you download them, you should be able to find them in the same way.

How do I add the Ventura desktop pictures to my "Desktop Pictures" in Photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.