Why can't I open a WAV file anymore after this new OS update? I'm under a tight deadline and I need an answer quickly.

New software OS will not let me play a WAV File. What is the solution so I can get back to work?

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 14.0

Posted on Oct 5, 2023 11:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2023 6:55 AM

VLC for the win! I think the problem has to do with the new OS update not recognizing polyphonic WAV files. Couldn't open in QuickTime or Apple Music.

Premiere Pro and other software can open the files and those programs run on my Mac.

But before the software update, my computer I could play WAV files just by clicking on them sitting on my desktop.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2023 6:55 AM in response to Wigbone

VLC for the win! I think the problem has to do with the new OS update not recognizing polyphonic WAV files. Couldn't open in QuickTime or Apple Music.

Premiere Pro and other software can open the files and those programs run on my Mac.

But before the software update, my computer I could play WAV files just by clicking on them sitting on my desktop.

Jan 18, 2024 6:41 AM in response to Wigbone

Maybe a bit late, but for the sake of the argument;

Sonoma seems to have an issue with playing back polyphonic WAV files with more than 12 tracks.

I'm google-ing left right and centre but somehow there is little to no info about this... (if someone is reading along, do share I you know what is happening..)

Premiere, Davinci and Programs like Audacity can open and read the files yes.

Oct 6, 2023 6:25 AM in response to Wigbone

Hi Wigbone,

Here are some potential solutions and insights gathered from various sources:

Check Codecs and Try VLC:

• It might be beneficial to check the codecs of the WAV file you're attempting to open. You can use a utility such as Media Info for Mac to get more information on the codecs. In some cases, simply renaming the extension to something representing a compression form used (e.g., mp3) might make it playable. Additionally, trying to play the file using VLC media player might work​.

Compressed WAV Format:

• There's a possibility that if the WAV file is in a compressed form, the macOS might have issues reading it​.

Try a Different App:

• If the specific app you're using to open the WAV file is having issues, it might be worth trying to open it with a different app. For instance, if you were using QuickTime, you might want to try opening it with VLC or another audio player​.

General macOS Sonoma Issues:

• The new update, known as macOS Sonoma, has brought about various issues for users. Although there wasn't a direct mention of WAV file problems, it might be related to some other broader issue with the update​.

Unfortunately, there wasn't a specific fix found for the issue of not being able to open WAV files on macOS 14.0. It might be a good idea to keep an eye on forums or Apple's official support channels for any updates regarding this issue. Moreover, you might want to consider reaching out to Apple Support directly for personalized assistance.

Lastly, if this is a recurring problem affecting your workflow significantly, you might want to consider downgrading to a previous macOS version where this issue did not occur, at least temporarily until a fix is released.

Why can't I open a WAV file anymore after this new OS update? I'm under a tight deadline and I need an answer quickly.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.