Adding or Deleting songs on IPod Touch

Can't delete or add anything IPod 9.3.5......... Itunes 12.8.3.1 Never had a problem previously!!! HELP

iPod touch

Posted on Oct 5, 2023 2:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2023 2:57 AM

L4popi wrote:

kept getting a message that the Ipod's full so can't sync.

It seems then that Sync has been turned on.

However, rather than going back to Manually Manage, if you want a better way to manage your iPod when you have more music in your library than you can fit on the iPod, how about using Sync selected playlists, artists, albums and genes? It's a far better method than using the "checked files" (which can still be useful).

Refer to the screenshot below:

In iTunes, on the Device/Settings/Music pane (1.), I assume that you will find Sync Entire music library selected (3.). Change this to Sync selected playlists, artists, albums and genres, which then displays additional sections shown in 4 (they're not visible if you select sync entire music library). If you scroll down below the Playlists and the Artists sections, you will find the Albums and Genres lists too. Choose the items that you want on your iPod and tap the Apply (or Sync) button in the lower right corner of the window (not shown in the screenshot).

You can subsequently change this selection whenever you wish, buy using the same procedure (including tapping the Apply button).

Better still though; the method I use to manage a large library and small iPod is to create a Playlist that automatically removes songs from both the list and your iPod after the song has been played (this takes place at the next Sync), and doesn't put them back until a time I specify has elapsed. For example, once a song has been played, I get iTunes to remove it from my iPod and not add it back again until a few months have passed. This leaves room for other songs to be added instead. For the purpose of this discussion, let's name this special playlist My Jukebox.

The songs can still be played as before (when on the iPod), by artist, album or genre, or even by individual song. The Playlist is simply the control that adds and removes them from the iPod. If you have songs that you always want on your iPod, regardless of whether they are in that special playlist, simply add them as an additional item (4).

Even more fancy (as a control); suppose you think "I want to play that specific song again, but iTunes will remove it because I have only just played it".

1. create or modify your Recently Played playlist and make sure it's also on your iPod. Set the Recently Played playlist to include songs played within (for example) the past two weeks
    2. you play the song (either on your iPod or in your iTunes library)
    3. at the next Sync, iTunes removes that song from the My Jukebox playlist, but adds it to the Recently Played playlist instead. This keeps that song on your iPod
    4. if you play the song again within the following two weeks it will stay in the Recently Played playlist and therefore stay on your iPod
    5. if you do not play the song within the two week period, iTunes will remove it from the Recently Played playlist and at the next Sync, it will be removed from the iPod as well, freeing up space
    6. that specific song will be added back to your My Jukebox playlist once the exclusion period you specify has passed and at the following Sync, it will be added back you your iPod
    7. (if you play an excluded song in your iTunes library, it will be added to the Recently Played playlist and as a consequence, back onto the iPod as well)

If the idea sounds useful, but you need assistance to set up the special playlist, please ask. It can be created and used in your iTunes library before trying it on your iPod.

The checked songs feature in the main library means that you have to constantly think about what you want on your iPod. Also, if you uncheck a song in the library, it will not be played in iTunes unless you specifically select it. I use check/uncheck (or tick and untick) songs to prevent Christmas music being played outside of the Christmas period.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2023 2:57 AM in response to L4popi

L4popi wrote:

kept getting a message that the Ipod's full so can't sync.

It seems then that Sync has been turned on.

However, rather than going back to Manually Manage, if you want a better way to manage your iPod when you have more music in your library than you can fit on the iPod, how about using Sync selected playlists, artists, albums and genes? It's a far better method than using the "checked files" (which can still be useful).

Refer to the screenshot below:

In iTunes, on the Device/Settings/Music pane (1.), I assume that you will find Sync Entire music library selected (3.). Change this to Sync selected playlists, artists, albums and genres, which then displays additional sections shown in 4 (they're not visible if you select sync entire music library). If you scroll down below the Playlists and the Artists sections, you will find the Albums and Genres lists too. Choose the items that you want on your iPod and tap the Apply (or Sync) button in the lower right corner of the window (not shown in the screenshot).

You can subsequently change this selection whenever you wish, buy using the same procedure (including tapping the Apply button).

Better still though; the method I use to manage a large library and small iPod is to create a Playlist that automatically removes songs from both the list and your iPod after the song has been played (this takes place at the next Sync), and doesn't put them back until a time I specify has elapsed. For example, once a song has been played, I get iTunes to remove it from my iPod and not add it back again until a few months have passed. This leaves room for other songs to be added instead. For the purpose of this discussion, let's name this special playlist My Jukebox.

The songs can still be played as before (when on the iPod), by artist, album or genre, or even by individual song. The Playlist is simply the control that adds and removes them from the iPod. If you have songs that you always want on your iPod, regardless of whether they are in that special playlist, simply add them as an additional item (4).

Even more fancy (as a control); suppose you think "I want to play that specific song again, but iTunes will remove it because I have only just played it".

1. create or modify your Recently Played playlist and make sure it's also on your iPod. Set the Recently Played playlist to include songs played within (for example) the past two weeks
    2. you play the song (either on your iPod or in your iTunes library)
    3. at the next Sync, iTunes removes that song from the My Jukebox playlist, but adds it to the Recently Played playlist instead. This keeps that song on your iPod
    4. if you play the song again within the following two weeks it will stay in the Recently Played playlist and therefore stay on your iPod
    5. if you do not play the song within the two week period, iTunes will remove it from the Recently Played playlist and at the next Sync, it will be removed from the iPod as well, freeing up space
    6. that specific song will be added back to your My Jukebox playlist once the exclusion period you specify has passed and at the following Sync, it will be added back you your iPod
    7. (if you play an excluded song in your iTunes library, it will be added to the Recently Played playlist and as a consequence, back onto the iPod as well)

If the idea sounds useful, but you need assistance to set up the special playlist, please ask. It can be created and used in your iTunes library before trying it on your iPod.

The checked songs feature in the main library means that you have to constantly think about what you want on your iPod. Also, if you uncheck a song in the library, it will not be played in iTunes unless you specifically select it. I use check/uncheck (or tick and untick) songs to prevent Christmas music being played outside of the Christmas period.

Oct 6, 2023 1:21 PM in response to the fiend

Hi, was using & have always used "Manually Manage". In Itunes it looks like I'm deleting but on the ipod nothing changes & kept getting a message that the Ipod's full so can't sync. I finally gave up & reset the ipod then "sync-ed" adding only "checked files". After doing that I have the new stuff I wanted & got rid of the old. Unfortunately I don't think that's the proper way to deal with the problem but I gave up...

Thanks for taking the time to try to help,

Arne

Adding or Deleting songs on IPod Touch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.