Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

After upgrade to Sonoma Touch ID stopped working to unlock by single touch

After upgrading to Sonoma, the fingerprint button (or the power button) stopped unlocking after it has been touched. Any other key should be pressed along to get the system unlocked. Only with a second key pressed before or after the fingerprint button touched the system accepts Touch ID instead of typing a password.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 14.0

Posted on Oct 5, 2023 11:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2023 11:53 AM

I believe I was able to resolve this following a recommendation I found in another forum. My Touch ID settings were also disabled, and could not use it for anything. I was able to get them re-enabled by the following ( I have an iMac M1 - my Macbook continued to work after Sonoma installation so I don't know if these will be the same for you):

• Open Settings and select Touch ID
  • Turn off the keyboard
  • Plug it in directly
  • Turn on the keyboard

At this point the settings were enabled. I tested that they were in fact usable, then unplugged the keyboard and they continued to work.

Good luck

107 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 1, 2023 11:53 AM in response to Kevin Kraynak1

I believe I was able to resolve this following a recommendation I found in another forum. My Touch ID settings were also disabled, and could not use it for anything. I was able to get them re-enabled by the following ( I have an iMac M1 - my Macbook continued to work after Sonoma installation so I don't know if these will be the same for you):

• Open Settings and select Touch ID
  • Turn off the keyboard
  • Plug it in directly
  • Turn on the keyboard

At this point the settings were enabled. I tested that they were in fact usable, then unplugged the keyboard and they continued to work.

Good luck

Oct 11, 2023 5:10 PM in response to bitbutton

This is clearly an issue to be addressed by Apple. My M1 Mac worked fine with touch ID since purchase. As soon as I installed Sonoma it stopped working. I deleted the finger prints as suggested elsewhere and now I can't even add a fingerprint. Runs the process and eventually shows "Touch ID enrollment was interrupted." and requests to start again. Never succeeds. Keep hoping Apple will provide a fix. Sonoma provided nothing I needed, would revert to previous version to restore touch ID if I could.

Oct 8, 2023 9:26 AM in response to bitbutton

M2, Sonoma 14.0, exact same thing occurring. I've deleted my saved touch ID fingerprint, re-added 2 fingerprints. Still occurs.

I also reviewed the 'Apple Document' Phillips recommended, and yeah... I know all that stuff, and I'm sure OP does as well.

Please, take this seriously, INVESTIGATE, give a fix for this. One of the reasons I purchased my silly expensive computer is for touch ID, which now is non-existent.

Oct 10, 2023 7:15 AM in response to bitbutton

Same thing is happening on my 24-in, M1, 2021 iMac.

Sonoma 14.0.

Updated and noticed touch ID wasn't enabled. But the toggle switches are all disabled without a way to enable again. I changed my local password, deleted my fingerprint and now the button to add a fingerprint is non-responsive as well.

If I plug in my wireless touch ID keyboard and click add fingerprint it at least opens and tries to initiate, but then errors out with this.

Occasionally a combo of plugging and unplugging and plugging the keyboard back in allows me to see the activated toggles again, but I can't add a fingerprint still.

Mildly annoyed at this unpredictable, and buggy behavior. Happy to try more to investigate.

Oct 11, 2023 1:13 AM in response to Barney-15E

**** We updated our Macs to Sonoma 14.0 and now when we touch our finger to the fingerprint key, it doesn't work.

In my case, I have several accounts on my Macbook Air with an M1 chip. When I try to use my fingerprint to log into an account, it switches the account and requests I use my fingerprint or password to sign in. No matter how many times I go back to the account I am trying to log into, when I attempt to use my fingerprint, it switches accounts and requests a fingerprint or password.

Ultimately, I have to log into any of my accounts with a password since my fingerprint no longer works.

I know you aren't having that issue but many of us are. ****

Thanks!

[Edited by Moderator]

After upgrade to Sonoma Touch ID stopped working to unlock by single touch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.