Newsroom Update

Updates to the Home experience elevate entertainment and bring more convenience. Learn more >

Apple TV OS 16.6 useless

The 2nd generation 4K Apple TV has become completely useless in multiple use cases since its latest update.

1) Cannot airplay from iPhone. I have a new iPhone 15 pro max. One of the touted features was its ability to airplay HD content to the Apple TV. I have been completely unable to get this to work. It just spins endlessly and does nothing. Have tried with multiple phones. Used to work flawlessly regardless of app. Now. None of them work at all.

2) Connect to WiFi issues. The menu has been updated, but is a step back in terms of functionality. The test network feature has been completely removed for a menu button that says Troubleshooting. Pressing the troubleshooting option brings up a screen which has the audacity to recommend restarting my WiFi network due to the apple TV’s inability to perform a simple network connection test. Sometimes in a network that is enough to establish a secure connection. The TV can no longer do this on it’s on. It now directs to Captiva via iPhone, but unfortunately that’s completely broken too.

Everything I used to be able to do with the Apple TV, easily, no longer works. The only screen that works with any sort of reliability is any screen that contains the endless spinning circle.

what is the point of limiting functionality if you cannot even provide said functionality. 16.6 tvOS is a terrible step back and is a slap in the face to Apple TV users everywhere.

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 16

Posted on Oct 6, 2023 12:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2023 2:46 AM

The current version tvOS is 17.0, per 2023-09-18. Prior version 16.6 (per 2023-07-24) has been working fine for AirPlay and Wi-Fi for most users. You may need to re-examine your home network.

About Apple TV 4K and Apple TV HD software updates - Apple Support

Update your Apple TV - Apple Support

Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

If your Apple TV can't connect to Wi-Fi - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2023 2:46 AM in response to SirGregoryScott

The current version tvOS is 17.0, per 2023-09-18. Prior version 16.6 (per 2023-07-24) has been working fine for AirPlay and Wi-Fi for most users. You may need to re-examine your home network.

About Apple TV 4K and Apple TV HD software updates - Apple Support

Update your Apple TV - Apple Support

Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

If your Apple TV can't connect to Wi-Fi - Apple Support

Apple TV OS 16.6 useless

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.