Time Machine is backing up an encrypted disk and an unencrypted disk

what does it mean when it says my time machine is backing up an encrypted diskt an unencrypted disk? I don't remember encrypting my initial backups to begin with. Also, will this somehow mess up the previous backups on the disk. P.S. all backups go onto my external hd.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 14.0

Posted on Oct 6, 2023 6:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2023 7:21 AM

That warning is just routine. It is to remind you that if you wanted to have EVERY copy encrypted, that is NOT what you are in the process of doing.

It makes some sense if your data are sensitive to encrypt the original files, so that if your Mac is stolen and the thief manages to break in, your data will be read as gibberish without the password.

It is questionable whether backup copies (which are presumably NOT subject to as large a threat form theft) should be encrypted. I would argus that anything that adds complexity (like encryption) decreases the likelihood of being able to rescue your data off the backup drive if there are any additional problems.

My attitude is that anything sensitive like credit card numbers should not be stored on your computer at all. That means when I pay bills, I may have to type credit card numbers a few times.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2023 7:21 AM in response to EmptyAngelo_jak

That warning is just routine. It is to remind you that if you wanted to have EVERY copy encrypted, that is NOT what you are in the process of doing.

It makes some sense if your data are sensitive to encrypt the original files, so that if your Mac is stolen and the thief manages to break in, your data will be read as gibberish without the password.

It is questionable whether backup copies (which are presumably NOT subject to as large a threat form theft) should be encrypted. I would argus that anything that adds complexity (like encryption) decreases the likelihood of being able to rescue your data off the backup drive if there are any additional problems.

My attitude is that anything sensitive like credit card numbers should not be stored on your computer at all. That means when I pay bills, I may have to type credit card numbers a few times.

Time Machine is backing up an encrypted disk and an unencrypted disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.