Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Sonoma 14 Mac book constant fan and overheating

I updated my MacBook to Sonoma 14 a few days ago. Since that time the fan runs constantly even when nothing is open. The battery obviously dies much faster. In the activity monitor it says CMFSyncagent is 92.3% and remains at the top of the list far exceeding any other activity. I did the whole shut down, hold option/shift etc for 7 seconds thing. Once restarted this stops the fan for about 5 minutes. I don't have many downloads on my Mac. I have a ton of storage. I am blaming this on the update and not sure how to correct it.

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Oct 6, 2023 11:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2023 3:28 AM

Why Apple doesn't test this software on current systems beforehand is unreal. My Mac is so hot, it will burn your skin. I can't imagine how much life I'm losing from my Mac due to the heat this update is causing. If I was conspiracy theorist, I'd bet that is their goal.....sell more computers. They could easily fix this but they don't. I dare Apple to provide a reasonable answer.

Similar questions

77 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2023 3:28 AM in response to EmD2511

Why Apple doesn't test this software on current systems beforehand is unreal. My Mac is so hot, it will burn your skin. I can't imagine how much life I'm losing from my Mac due to the heat this update is causing. If I was conspiracy theorist, I'd bet that is their goal.....sell more computers. They could easily fix this but they don't. I dare Apple to provide a reasonable answer.

Oct 21, 2023 12:32 PM in response to EmD2511

Hi! I'm facing this issue as well. My MacBook Pro 2019 since I updated for Sonoma is always overheating and the fan never stops. The following message is always showing up on my photos - Mac needs to cool down. Always this message is showing photos can't sync from iCloud. This is something that didn't happen with the previous macOS. It's frustrating!

Jan 15, 2024 11:06 AM in response to EmD2511

I started experiencing the same thing with my 2019 MBP. Turned everything off that I could, put everything on low power mode, still goes to 170F when in screen saver mode. If left on battery overnight it's dead in the morning. I'm sure this heat issue is killing my battery too. Certainly something is running in the background causing this heat issues. Come on Apple, fix this.

Jan 25, 2024 11:53 AM in response to chdsl

No. Apple is doing exactly what they’ve been sued for many times. They are purposely putting out software to give the illusion that you need a new laptop. A top of the line MBP from even 5 years ago is still plenty of power and should last another 5 years minimum. There’s no need for an upgrade. There’s a need for good customer service for loyal customers who have ALREADY purchased laptops. Good lord you need some common sense.

Nov 18, 2023 4:39 AM in response to EmD2511

Same with my iMac late 2019 ..

Did :

1.Boot with safe Mode

2.Replace my internal Fusion Drive with macOS Sonoma to an external SSD Drive.

2.Reset SMC twice.

3.Closed all Apps except one ..

1. Didn't add / install / change anything.

ALL WITH NO SOLVING THE FANS AND HOT iMAC ISSUE.

The only change was software macOS upgrade to Sonoma.

Sent Apple Bug feedback.

Dec 27, 2023 8:19 AM in response to brokcpu

I agree with you.

Apple is not what it used to be. Shoddy software, exorbitant prices, zero-to-none meaningful tech support, and pathetic customer care.

I expect Apple to have tested their OS upgrade thoroughly before releasing it. But, sadly the trend is for Apple to put software out there and let the users deal with it while they count the money. For example, consider the accessories that you can buy for a fraction of what Apple charges elsewhere, from cables to chargers.

And this is coming from me: a long time Apple guy who started with a Mac Plus in 1980s!

I think the time to change is on the horizon.

Oct 7, 2023 3:07 PM in response to EmD2511

EmD2511 wrote:

I updated my MacBook to Sonoma 14 a few days ago. Since that time the fan runs constantly even when nothing is open. The battery obviously dies much faster. In the activity monitor it says CMFSyncagent is 92.3% and remains at the top of the list far exceeding any other activity. I did the whole shut down, hold option/shift etc for 7 seconds thing. Once restarted this stops the fan for about 5 minutes. I don't have many downloads on my Mac. I have a ton of storage. I am blaming this on the update and not sure how to correct it.

CMFSyncAgent "Communications Filter Synchronization Agent" is a macOS System File.

If shutting down and restarting does not resolve your issue

A SafeBoot Use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies.

Sonoma 14 Mac book constant fan and overheating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.