iCloud isnt backing my iMessage conversations after iOS 17 update

Hello, I have been having issues with iCloud not backing up my iMessage conversations. I currently pay for the 2tb plan and I seem to be running out of space as iMessage takes up to nearly 18gb's of space on my phone. After checking top conversations the biggest conversation was nearly 3gb's in a group chat that had been in active for about a year. I deleted it to make space but iMessage somehow cleared that 3gb's of space within an hour. I tried to force a sync to iCloud for iMessage but there are no articles telling me how to do so. I even tried connecting my phone to my computer to force a sync on iTunes but no luck as it only did a sync but cleared no space. This only started to be a real issue ever since I updated to iOS 17 as iMessage would never go above 8 gb's of storage

Btw the phone is an Iphone 12 on iOS 17 with 64gb's of storage the post tagged the wrong phone.

iPhone XR, iOS 14

Posted on Oct 6, 2023 11:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2023 1:24 PM

ChinChinox wrote:

Hello, I have been having issues with iCloud not backing up my iMessage conversations. I currently pay for the 2tb plan and I seem to be running out of space as iMessage takes up to nearly 18gb's of space on my phone. After checking top conversations the biggest conversation was nearly 3gb's in a group chat that had been in active for about a year. I deleted it to make space but iMessage somehow cleared that 3gb's of space within an hour. I tried to force a sync to iCloud for iMessage but there are no articles telling me how to do so. I even tried connecting my phone to my computer to force a sync on iTunes but no luck as it only did a sync but cleared no space. This only started to be a real issue ever since I updated to iOS 17 as iMessage would never go above 8 gb's of storage

Btw the phone is an Iphone 12 on iOS 17 with 64gb's of storage the post tagged the wrong phone.

You're describing two different things, what is synced Set up iCloud for Messages on all your devices - Apple Support to icloud isn't part of the backup What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support.

Though both counts towards your icloud storage.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2023 1:24 PM in response to ChinChinox

ChinChinox wrote:

You're describing two different things, what is synced Set up iCloud for Messages on all your devices - Apple Support to icloud isn't part of the backup What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support.

Though both counts towards your icloud storage.

iCloud isnt backing my iMessage conversations after iOS 17 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.