Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Why is it not possible to cut and paste photos from folders on iPhone?

Why is it not possibel to cut and paste photos from folders on ipad and iphone?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad, iPadOS 16

Posted on Oct 6, 2023 3:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2023 11:37 AM

Traktoren wrote:

Thanks again, I would like to. But how do I log my feedback with Apple? Sorry for asking.

To request Apple add a move operation to iPhone and iPad Photos app, log some feedback: Product Feedback - Apple

8 replies

Oct 7, 2023 8:35 AM in response to Traktoren

Traktoren wrote:

In Photos on my iPad and on the iPhone, I have several folders with different content, such as family, travels, vacation, cars, and so on.
If I want to move a number of photos from one folder to another folder, I can select the photos and move them to another folder. But they also remain in the original folder, where I then have to find them again and then delete them from the folder.
On my iMac I can cut the same photos and paste them with no problem.

Short answer:

Yes, that is the way it works. Two operations are needed; add to an album, then remove from an album.

Long answer:

It appears that you are not using iCloud Photos.

Some of the common confusions with Photos app on Mac, iPhone, and iPad are included here.

In Photos app on Mac and iPhone and iPad (with or without iCloud Photos enabled), your photos are always in your photo library.

Each photo can be included in any number of albums. Or in no albums.

The photos aren’t “in” any of the albums, they’re always and only “in” the photo library.

(Apple macOS Mail “Smart Mailboxes” and macOS Finder Saved Searches work the same way. They’re saved searches, or akin to adding what Apple calls flags.)

If you delete a photo from the photo library, it will be removed from all albums.

If you remove a photo from any album (but not delete it), it will still be in the photo library.

As for your question: Mac can perform a move of a photo from one album to another in one operation, but iPhone and iPad cannot. iPhone can add, and then—as you have found—a second request to remove.)

What can you do?

If you should decide to enable iCloud Photos, you can set up your albums on your Mac, and the album creations or deletions, and all of the album contents changes, and all additions and deletions of photos, will be automatically synced across all other devices logged into that same Apple ID.

You can also choose to use a local photo library on the Mac and use a cable from iPhone or iPad to Mac, and then import your photos into Photos app on macOS, and then sync those photos back to Photos on iPhone or iPad. This keeps your photo library local to your Mac.

To request Apple add a move operation to iPhone and iPad Photos app, log some feedback: Product Feedback - Apple

Oct 7, 2023 3:23 AM in response to MrHoffman

In Photos on my iPad and on the iPhone, I have several folders with different content, such as family, travels, vacation, cars, and so on.

If I want to move a number of photos from one folder to another folder, I can select the photos and move them to another folder. But they also remain in the original folder, where I then have to find them again and then delete them from the folder.

On my iMac I can cut the same photos and paste them with no problem.

Oct 7, 2023 9:54 AM in response to MrHoffman

Thanks for the answer. I know everything you describe. iCloud is enabled and I know that the photo library is the heart of the archive. I also know that the operations performed on my iMac are synchronized to the iPhone and iPad.

That is the whole point of my question. Why can't Apple add the cut and paste function to the 'shadow'-presence of the images in the folders on the iPad and iPhone?

Why is it not possible to cut and paste photos from folders on iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.