Ipad series6 will not update or restore. iTunes shows Error1100

iPad screen shows

connect to support.apple.com/ipad/restore

tried to update/restore

iTunes downloads software, iPad shows progress bar, starts process, then get error code

iPad, iPadOS 16

Posted on Oct 7, 2023 3:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2023 10:01 AM

Presumably your iPad indicates that it must be restored:

If you see the Restore screen on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

While Apple doesn't explicitly list error #1100, common causes for this error are iTunes not running the most recent (required) version to be able to restore/update the Apple device. You should note that the most recent versions of iTunes for Windows requires the Windows PC to be running Microsoft Windows 10 or Windows 11.

These support pages outline the available methods to restore an iPad - either from a backup, or to Factory Settings:

Restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch from a backup – Apple Support

Restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod to factory settings – Apple Support

Restore all content to iPad from a backup - Apple Support

You’ll need access to either a Windows PC (with iTunes for Windows installed) or a Mac (with iTunes or Finder - as appropriate for the installed version of macOS).

Download and use iTunes for Windows – Apple Support

Update to the latest version of iTunes – Apple Support

Use of a PC or Mac computer is unavoidable. If you don’t have access to a suitable computer of your own, that of a helpful friend or family member will suffice. Alternatively, the technicians at the Genius Bar of your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) will be delighted to assist.

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2023 10:01 AM in response to 61A065

Presumably your iPad indicates that it must be restored:

If you see the Restore screen on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

While Apple doesn't explicitly list error #1100, common causes for this error are iTunes not running the most recent (required) version to be able to restore/update the Apple device. You should note that the most recent versions of iTunes for Windows requires the Windows PC to be running Microsoft Windows 10 or Windows 11.

These support pages outline the available methods to restore an iPad - either from a backup, or to Factory Settings:

Restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch from a backup – Apple Support

Restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod to factory settings – Apple Support

Restore all content to iPad from a backup - Apple Support

You’ll need access to either a Windows PC (with iTunes for Windows installed) or a Mac (with iTunes or Finder - as appropriate for the installed version of macOS).

Download and use iTunes for Windows – Apple Support

Update to the latest version of iTunes – Apple Support

Use of a PC or Mac computer is unavoidable. If you don’t have access to a suitable computer of your own, that of a helpful friend or family member will suffice. Alternatively, the technicians at the Genius Bar of your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) will be delighted to assist.

Oct 7, 2023 4:52 PM in response to 61A065

You might be well advised to seek assistance directly from Apple Support. You can contact the Support Team using the Support link at top-right or bottom-left of this page. Alternatively, you can initiate and manage your support cases from Apple devices using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/app/apple-support/id1130498044

You can also visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to provide hands-on assistance:

Oct 7, 2023 12:59 PM in response to LotusPilot

To Lotus Pilot

Thank you for your reply.

When turning my iPad on I get a black screen with white lettering telling me to "connect to support.apple.com/ ipad /restore" and a picture of a PC with a lead suggesting I connect to a PC.

I run a Windows10 PC which is telling me my updates are up to date.

iTunes is telling me "your software is the current version"

my 1m fast charging Lightning to usb cable, which for this I plug into a usb port available on the rear of the pc directly on the motherboard.

I have disabled the screen saver in Windows settings.

When attempting to update / restore my iPad (once it downloads the software, the iPad screen displays the usual white screen with progress bar. It then starts to update and then throws up the error code shortly afterwards). I then shut own the PC after disconnecting the Lightning cable and turning off the iPad. I have restarted the procedure at least 6 times but each has the same outcome.

Sorry the above is long winded, I tried to give as much detail as possible.

Ipad series6 will not update or restore. iTunes shows Error1100

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.