Touch Bar not working after Sonoma update! (MacBook Pro 13)

A couple of days ago I decided to update the Sonoma 14.0 on my macbook pro 13-inch M1 (16GB). Bad decision I think, because since this moment my Touch Bar is experiencing technical difficulties. It all started with blue spots beginning on the left side of the Touch Bar (see picture). When the days passed, my entire Touch Bar was covered with these weird spots and turned slowly into black. Right now, it turned completely black!

The weirdest thing is that it is still functioning when I touch it, only I don't see anything. So the problem is the lightning. I tried everything, from forcing the Touch Bar to stop working via the activity monitor and terminal, re-installing the update, and reset the SMC. I just don't know what I can do further... My laptop is only 2 years old, so annoying! Wish I had chosen for the Air version right now.

I sincerely hope that someone can help me!

Kind regards,

Jhamel

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on Oct 7, 2023 6:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2023 8:16 AM

JhamelM wrote:

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/99cf09b2-bd44-4bb5-a926-3df18bde0c9b
A couple of days ago I decided to update the Sonoma 14.0 on my macbook pro 13-inch M1 (16GB). Bad decision I think, because since this moment my Touch Bar is experiencing technical difficulties. It all started with blue spots beginning on the left side of the Touch Bar (see picture). When the days passed, my entire Touch Bar was covered with these weird spots and turned slowly into black. Right now, it turned completely black!

The weirdest thing is that it is still functioning when I touch it, only I don't see anything. So the problem is the lightning. I tried everything, from forcing the Touch Bar to stop working via the activity monitor and terminal, re-installing the update, and reset the SMC. I just don't know what I can do further... My laptop is only 2 years old, so annoying! Wish I had chosen for the Air version right now.

Kind regards,
Jhamel

on the M1/M2 SoC Mac the best you can do here.

—SMC reset equivalent is Shut down, close the lid 30 secs+ , reboot as normal

—no resolve—Try a SafeBoot Use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

you can try to revive or restore—

Revive or restore a Mac with Apple silicon using Apple Configurator - Apple Support

if no resolve— you can try the User Diagnostics to test your Mac

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

I might suspect a hardware issue:

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Check your coverage

My Support - Official Apple Support

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2023 8:16 AM in response to JhamelM

JhamelM wrote:

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/99cf09b2-bd44-4bb5-a926-3df18bde0c9b

Kind regards,
Jhamel

on the M1/M2 SoC Mac the best you can do here.

—SMC reset equivalent is Shut down, close the lid 30 secs+ , reboot as normal

—no resolve—Try a SafeBoot Use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

you can try to revive or restore—

Revive or restore a Mac with Apple silicon using Apple Configurator - Apple Support

if no resolve— you can try the User Diagnostics to test your Mac

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

I might suspect a hardware issue:

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Check your coverage

My Support - Official Apple Support

Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support Get your Mac ready for service - Apple Support

Touch Bar not working after Sonoma update! (MacBook Pro 13)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.