Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

How do I properly eject my time machine backup drive?

After I backup my MacBook on an external hard drive using Time Machine, I get a message that says I need to properly eject my Time Machine drive. I do not see an external drive connection in my Finder window or a key to eject. How do I properly eject a Time Machine backup on an external drive?

MacBook Air 13″, 13.4

Posted on Oct 7, 2023 7:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2023 8:31 AM

In Finder > Settings > General > Show these items on Desktop, put a check mark in front of external disks

and/or

In Finder > Settings > Sidebar put a checkmark in front of external disks.

Then control click on the disk on the desktop andd click Eject [diskname]

or click the eject icon to the right of the disk name in the Finder sidebar.

See the following for other details and options: Eject CDs and DVDs from your Mac - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2023 8:31 AM in response to SteveWilmarth

In Finder > Settings > General > Show these items on Desktop, put a check mark in front of external disks

and/or

In Finder > Settings > Sidebar put a checkmark in front of external disks.

Then control click on the disk on the desktop andd click Eject [diskname]

or click the eject icon to the right of the disk name in the Finder sidebar.

See the following for other details and options: Eject CDs and DVDs from your Mac - Apple Support

Oct 7, 2023 10:35 AM in response to SteveWilmarth

You need to properly eject the HDD, but the message doesn't mean you have to.

Leave the HDD attached at all times to allow TM to backup on its hourly schedule. You have to set TM to backup automatically, and that's preferable for greatest data security. If you backup manually only periodically, your updated data and settings will not be the most current. There will be gaps in time based on how long between manual backups.

How do I properly eject my time machine backup drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.