Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Pages: How do you change Indents without moving the Paragraph Background colour?

A recent update to Apple Pages changed how two Layout features interact, in a way that I've really been struggling with.

Previously if you went to Layout, gave the Paragraph Background a colour, and then increased the Indents on the First, Left and Right of the text, it would create a gap between the text and the Paragraph Background. But now, the colour moves with the indent. Here's what that difference looks like in practice.

Before

After

As you can see, the background colour clings to the edges of the text in a way it didn't before. And as such, I don't know how to achieve the previous effect anymore. Can anyone help?

Things I've Already Tried

• Format > Style > Bullets & Lists > Indent: Text. This does allow you to indent the text without moving the paragraph background. But ONLY on the left hand side. The background colour still clings to the right hand side of the text. Which makes it look uneven, in a way it didn't when you could control both the left and right indents.
  • Format > Layout > Paragraph Borders > Add boarder around the paragraph. You can achieve a similar effect by applying a Paragraph Border to the text, and giving that border the same colour as the Paragraph Background. The problem is, this causes the paragraph background to stretch beyond the margins of any borderless text, where before they neatly aligned. Here's what that difference looks like:

Posted on Oct 7, 2023 7:09 AM

Similar questions

1 reply

Pages: How do you change Indents without moving the Paragraph Background colour?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.