New drive for Time Machine

Since I have many versions of documents, etc... I want to manage my data and move my existing Time Machine Snapshots to a brand new and larger drive. The existing drive is a 2TB APFS formatted SSD. The new drive is a 4TB APFS formatted SSD (I don't want to let previous drives that contain Time Machine data succumb to bit rot while sitting on a shelf, so I would like to keep a larger Time Machine volume constantly connected).

When I follow the "Apple recommended" comment on this thread to Restore to a new drive the result is failure. That comment references this Apple document.

I have tried to Restore from my admin account using Disk Utility... failed

I have tried to Restore from Recovery mode using Disk Utililty... failed

I also read a question posted on these forums where the user spoke for over an hour with Apple support, and finally Tier 2 support, whom conveyed that this functionality was "intentionally broken" in Ventura to prevent users from compromising their Time Machine backups. Sorry can't find the link.

Any news on whether this is possible in Sonoma...

Maybe someone could explain Apple's rationale. Is Time Machine no longer considered by Apple to be a backup solution? What kind of backup solution is Time Machine, what is it's role? Why does Apple say it's "OK" to just delete your old Time Machine disk and "Start Over"?

iMac 27″

Posted on Oct 7, 2023 10:42 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Oct 7, 2023 12:58 PM in response to johnnyjackhammer

@Barney-15E @VikingOSX

When drives begin to fail and we can't rescue those snapshots... "Time Machine" seems to no longer be an appropriate moniker. It's too bad, I really find it incredibly useful except for this new limitation.

I know that we are now strongly encouraged to move to APFS formatted media for Time Machine, and I am still wondering with non-APFS (HFS+ formatted) disks do we get a Backups.backupdb directory that is moveable?

Have your seen or read this page:

https://ericfromcanada.github.io/output/2021/migrating-time-machine-backups-to-network.html

Oct 7, 2023 3:28 PM in response to Old Toad

At the end of the page it talks a little about APFS

APFS backups (macOS 11+)

The bad news is that because newly-created Time Machine backup sets since macOS Big Sur rely on APFS snapshots, it’s not currently possible to clone drives containing them. Using the Finder to drag a Time Machine snapshot from one drive to another gives the “disallow” cursor, asr and other utilities make no mention of cloning snapshot data, and attempting a restore with Disk Utility fails with “Error finding volume with appropriate role in container”. As for SuperDuper! v3.5, it will clone a Time Machine drive to a disk image, but the resulting volume will still appear empty, even though it takes up equivalent space.

The good news is that Time-Machine-NASifier.command still works for creating a disk image with a larger band size than the default 64MB. When run on macOS 11 or later, it’ll automatically create a case-sensitive APFS disk image instead.

New drive for Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.