How do I move apps to the dock in iOS 17?

After upgrading my iPhone 7 to an iPhone 15, and a soon to be unsupported iOS to iOS 17 I wanted to move apps to the first page of my home screen. Used to be you could make room on the dock by moving apps off of it and then use the dock to move apps back and forth from screen to screen. Well, apparently that does not work any more. I moved my phone and mail apps from the dock to a screen with some empty slots, but I cannot move anything onto the dock, INCLUDING trying to get my Mail and Phone apps back to the dock. How do I move apps to the dock?

iPhone 15 Pro Max

Posted on Oct 7, 2023 3:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2023 5:06 PM

Thanks. At this point I do not remember what apps the reset placed on my dock, although I believe that they were phone, message, safari and music, in that order. I have spent the last hour moving virtually all the apps from my home pages into the App Library, leaving only the ones that I really need to access quickly on the first home page. Somehow I was able to move the music app, which I never use, off the dock and move my mail app back onto the dock. Why I was not able to do that earlier (it would just bounce back onto the home page) is beyond me.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2023 5:06 PM in response to sberman

Thanks. At this point I do not remember what apps the reset placed on my dock, although I believe that they were phone, message, safari and music, in that order. I have spent the last hour moving virtually all the apps from my home pages into the App Library, leaving only the ones that I really need to access quickly on the first home page. Somehow I was able to move the music app, which I never use, off the dock and move my mail app back onto the dock. Why I was not able to do that earlier (it would just bounce back onto the home page) is beyond me.

Oct 7, 2023 3:54 PM in response to sberman

Thanks. I should have thought that one through before doing it. Resetting the home screen at least got my phone app back on the dock, but now the music app, which I never use, is there instead of the mail app that I used to have there, and none of the other apps that I had on the first screen and that I use all the time, are there any more. Oh well.

How do I move apps to the dock in iOS 17?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.