Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old iTunes 12.8.2.3 doesn't show iphone anymore after updating to iOS 17

I am running a very large iTunes library (12.8.2.3) on an old MacPro (Earl 2008) with El Capitan.

Syncing iPhones and iPads from 1st generation up to very recent ones was no problem up to now.

Now, after upgrading from iOS 16.7. to iOS /iPadOS 17.0.2, the devices doe not show up in iTunes anymore. They are recognized when plugged in, and transfer of pictures using image capture is possible - it just doesn't show up in iTunes. I worked through this (If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone or iPad:) and I tried to reinstall iTunes 11.8.2 while the iPhone was plugged in, but to no effect.

Any ideas?

iPad mini 5, iPadOS 17

Posted on Oct 8, 2023 12:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2023 2:37 PM

Further to my post, I just finished talking with Apple Tech support regarding the issue. It appears according to the tech that, unfortunatly, it won't be possible any more to get them to work together. It mentioned that my old Mac on El Capitan is consider obsolete and that the new version of ios 17 won't be compatible.

here what I also found:

"If your iPhone is using iOS 17 or later, or your iPad is using iPadOS 17 or later, make sure that your Mac is using macOS High Sierra or later. "

They make good product but they need also to keep the software to work togeher and connect.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2023 2:37 PM in response to Jimmy Lewis

Further to my post, I just finished talking with Apple Tech support regarding the issue. It appears according to the tech that, unfortunatly, it won't be possible any more to get them to work together. It mentioned that my old Mac on El Capitan is consider obsolete and that the new version of ios 17 won't be compatible.

here what I also found:

"If your iPhone is using iOS 17 or later, or your iPad is using iPadOS 17 or later, make sure that your Mac is using macOS High Sierra or later. "

They make good product but they need also to keep the software to work togeher and connect.

Oct 8, 2023 1:39 PM in response to manuel.schmid

I read an article mentioning to try another cable, in my case it made a difference. However, after I plug the iphone working on ios 17.0.3 and El Capitan a pop-up said that I needed an update on an Apple add-on software, but the download failed, the software is not available at this time according to Apple server message. So I have to continue searching or finding a new alternative.

Apple what have you done, it used to be so simple, now you made our life miserable trying to continue using your product.

Feb 10, 2024 2:10 AM in response to Jimmy Lewis

Jimmy thanks for this info. I am running on even older OS Sierra 10.12.6 (iTunes 12.8.2.3) so there seems little hope for me. Since updating my iPhone to iOS 17.0 iTunes just doesn't want to know. Seems like I am once again trapped in the Apple spend cycle. It seems to me that if you take care of your Apple products then at some stage your gonna have to ditch them all as slowly but surely updated software becomes incompatible with outdated kit.

Thanks once again.

Feb 11, 2024 9:38 AM in response to Jimmy Lewis

Running OS Sierra 10.12.6 with iTunes 12.8.2.3 I have no indication of connectivity with my iPhone 13 Mini. However, running Photos Version 2 (2016) I can import photos from my iPhone. Wonder what Photos has that iTunes doesn't?

Another replay was to move on to High Sierra if running iOS 17 on iPhone. However I believe this version of Mac OS is no longer available?

Old iTunes 12.8.2.3 doesn't show iphone anymore after updating to iOS 17

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.