Screen Time Communication Safety Feature - Who Actually Censors Inappropriate Content in Messages?

Because of having a teen I find the the idea of the Communication Safety Feature in Screen Time as interesting and possibly helpful. I am having difficulty ascertaining information about what Third-Party entity views and/or stores potential inappropriate images. Apple claims to not view them. Is it a government or government-sponsored entity?

Posted on Oct 8, 2023 10:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2023 11:05 AM

Communication Safety uses on-device machine learning to analyze photo and video attachments and determine if a photo or video appears to contain nudity. Because the photos and videos are analyzed on your child's device, Apple doesn't receive an indication that nudity was detected and doesn't get access to the photos or videos as a result.

You can learn more about Communication Safety here: About Communication Safety on your child's Apple device - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2023 11:05 AM in response to PelicanState

Communication Safety uses on-device machine learning to analyze photo and video attachments and determine if a photo or video appears to contain nudity. Because the photos and videos are analyzed on your child's device, Apple doesn't receive an indication that nudity was detected and doesn't get access to the photos or videos as a result.

You can learn more about Communication Safety here: About Communication Safety on your child's Apple device - Apple Support

Oct 8, 2023 11:21 AM in response to timdifferent

Thank you. My understanding has always been that the images themselves remain on the iPhone; however, there's always the human element behind the coding, regardless of how much AI is involved or utilized. Hopefully this clarifies my reason for asking what entity is ultimately responsible for storage and/or viewing anything deemed inappropriate.

Screen Time Communication Safety Feature - Who Actually Censors Inappropriate Content in Messages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.