Permissions mismatch

My mac administration is a mess. i have popups of keychain requests from apps i dont use, i cant modify permissions on some folders even though im the admin. i can open the lock sign but sometimes cannot add my user to the permission list. i don't have some important applications there so im thinking about resetting everything and start fresh, but i want to keep my home folder and im afraid to lose this data. i dont want to start a journey of backups. any suggestions?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Oct 8, 2023 12:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2023 2:02 PM

"i don't have some important applications"

Indicates your OS is damaged if these are Apple apps. Most are integral with the OS and their removal is damaging

"im afraid to lose this data"

You should be making regular backups: How to back up your Mac – Official Apple Support

If you OS is damaged, you can restore it without touching your data, but you should be making backups is your data is important. How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

"i dont want to start a journey of backups"

This is an absurd position. If you want to protect your data, make backups and do it asap.

Good luck

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2023 2:02 PM in response to achiya_zigler

"i don't have some important applications"

Indicates your OS is damaged if these are Apple apps. Most are integral with the OS and their removal is damaging

"im afraid to lose this data"

You should be making regular backups: How to back up your Mac – Official Apple Support

If you OS is damaged, you can restore it without touching your data, but you should be making backups is your data is important. How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

"i dont want to start a journey of backups"

This is an absurd position. If you want to protect your data, make backups and do it asap.

Good luck

Permissions mismatch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.