Is there a way to select and delete messages en mass like on iPhone?

I want to be able to select several emails and junk them, move them or delete them.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.0

Posted on Oct 8, 2023 3:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2023 3:07 PM

Hi there DrBukk,

You can follow the steps below to delete multiple emails on your iPhone in the Mail app:

Delete multiple emails at once 
1. Open Mail and go to your Inbox.
2. Tap Edit in the upper-right corner, then individually select the emails that you want to delete, or tap Select All. To select multiple emails quickly, swipe down through the checkboxes.
3. Tap Trash or Archive. If you only see Archive, touch and hold Archive to see other options like Trash Selected Messages.
To delete a large number of emails, you might find it easier to use your email provider's website.

You'll find this information here: Delete emails on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Take care.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2023 3:07 PM in response to DrBukk

Hi there DrBukk,

You can follow the steps below to delete multiple emails on your iPhone in the Mail app:

Delete multiple emails at once 
1. Open Mail and go to your Inbox.
2. Tap Edit in the upper-right corner, then individually select the emails that you want to delete, or tap Select All. To select multiple emails quickly, swipe down through the checkboxes.
3. Tap Trash or Archive. If you only see Archive, touch and hold Archive to see other options like Trash Selected Messages.
To delete a large number of emails, you might find it easier to use your email provider's website.

You'll find this information here: Delete emails on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Take care.

Oct 9, 2023 5:19 PM in response to DrBukk

DrBukk,

It looks like you're using a MacBook Pro. Is that correct? If so, we recommend that you try the steps here: Delete emails in Mail on Mac

To perform the recommended troubleshooting steps via the link above, complete the steps in the section titled "Delete multiple emails."

1. In the Mail app  on your Mac, select messages or email conversations in the list.
2. All of the messages in a conversation will be deleted.
3. Click the Delete button  in the Mail toolbar or press the Delete key.
If you delete a mailbox, all of the messages in the mailbox are deleted.
You can search for a set of messages to delete. For example, you can search for messages dated August 1 through September 5, 2021 by entering “date:8/01/21-9/05/21” in the Mail search field. Or, search for messages from a specific person by entering a name in the search field. Then select and delete the found messages.

We recommend the steps above because they will show you how to delete multiple emails on your Mac.

If you’re still experiencing the same issue, then we suggest that you contact Apple Support directly so that they can work with you to find a solution. You can reach them by clicking here: Apple Support or calling the most local number in your region: Contact Apple for support and service. Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities. Cheers!

Oct 10, 2023 10:06 AM in response to J_Johnnyboy

Yes I am on a MacBook Pro. The files are so messed up and hacked I can't transfer to a new one. I use the Mail App like a file cabinet (it is more secure) and don't want to delete any of the mail folders stored on the cloud. What I wanted to do is just select the junk emails every day and delete (or move them to junk) in one click like messages on the phone. Thank you. I just figured out how stupid I am... just select with the command button.

Is there a way to select and delete messages en mass like on iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.