Screenshot function takes grey screenshots

When taking a screenshot of anything on my new macbook pro 2023, M2 Pro running Ventura 13.3 the screenshots come out with a grey hue to them compared to the original website or image.

I can manually correct it by opening the image in preview and Tools->Adjust Color->Auto Levels.

This is a new macbook to me and I never had this issue before on my mid 2015 macbook pro.

Why does it do this and is there a quicker fix rather than manually correctly each image?

Thank you in advance

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Oct 8, 2023 3:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2023 12:59 AM

Thanks for reporting back. Are you saying that eg Command-Shift-4 when Chrome is active produces a different result from when another application is active? Or are you using some functionality of Chrome to make those screenshots (note: I don’t use Chrome and don’t know if it takes screenshots somehow)?

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 10, 2023 12:59 AM in response to irishrule812

Thanks for reporting back. Are you saying that eg Command-Shift-4 when Chrome is active produces a different result from when another application is active? Or are you using some functionality of Chrome to make those screenshots (note: I don’t use Chrome and don’t know if it takes screenshots somehow)?

Oct 9, 2023 2:27 AM in response to irishrule812

As pervious mentioned Ventura 13.3 is some what out dated

There are may Bug and Security Fixes since Ventura 13.3

Links below related to this specific topic

Keep your Mac up to date

About the security content of macOS Ventura 13.6

About the security content of Safari 17

There might be a looming Ventura 13.6.1 , but from what I can see so far, it is not yet released

Oct 9, 2023 4:09 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Just updated to Sonoma 14.0. Issue persists. And I actually only transfered fils from my old mac, did not do like an actually mirror back up of the old mac because I like just starting fresh.

As for Under Display section of settings: Preset: Apple XDR Display (P3-1600 nits).

True tone ON

Automatically adjust brightness ON

Refresh Rate: Pro Motion

Thank you for helping. Its so annoying and never had this issue before and couldn't find a good answer online.

Oct 8, 2023 5:35 PM in response to MacMikeInOK

https://docdro.id/sSDYCQh

I made a pdf to show whats going on. An I am using the hot key function, I did just try with the native screen shot app but the same results.

As you can see on the third page this is the outcome, so when I am making powerpoints and quickly take a screen shot and drag it in, is it very grey and I have to manually adjust it to get the results on page 4 of the pdf.

Pages 1 and 2 show the before and after color levels. I usually hit auto levels and its fine or just drag the far right bar more left if needed.

Thank you for any help. This is actually quite frustrating.

Oct 9, 2023 12:03 AM in response to irishrule812

Any reason why you are running 13.3? The latest version of Ventura is 13.6.1, I think; and, of course, now there is Sonoma.

Setting that aside, and perhaps most importantly: are you using the default setting in System Settings->Displays->Color Profile? If you are using a custom profile, that may have to do with this problem.

If all is ok, there may be some third party conflict - especially if you migrated stuff from an older mac and OS.

Please run Etrecheck and post its full report here. Use the "additional text" button and paste the report into the text box.

Oct 10, 2023 4:54 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

So yes, I was using command shift 4 on chrome but I once I saw screenshots taken on a safari page were the normal white I new I had localized the issue. I had some random extension on google chrome that adjusted the brightness of the website pages automatically. I guess on my old mac the screenshot function would disregard that and take a screenshot based on the native output colors of the website. But once I removed the extension it fixed the issue. Very weird but glad I figured it out.

Thank you all

Screenshot function takes grey screenshots

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.